Does anyone know of a manufacturer/brand/model of a vintage/retro style wind generator?

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
MMMichael

Does anyone know of a manufacturer/brand/model of a vintage/retro style wind generator?

Post by MMMichael »

Hi there. Michael here - living in Spain. In an old farmhouse with plenty of wind around... Presently only using solar panels for electricity, but would like a wind generator as well.

Here is what is stopping me: I am unable to find a beautiful one (to me beatiful means rustic/vintage/retro). I do not want a modern glass fiber industrial-type one.

Can it really be that none of the wind engine manufacturers produce a retro wind generator? I find it very strange - surely I am not the only one concerned with estetics...

I am especially interested in one that looks like the old farm mills that were used to pump water. Like the attached picture.

/Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Does anyone know of a manufacturer/brand/model of a vintage/retro style wind generator?

Post by CTXmiller »

I know nothing of this company, but they appear to make what you’re seeking. I understand these types are not as efficient as the fiberglass modern ones, thus likely why they are uncommon.

https://www.spiritpma.com/
Wind Charger Mike

Re: Does anyone know of a manufacturer/brand/model of a vintage/retro style wind generator?

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

You won’t find a modern company making windmill style wind gens for a good reason, it’s a bad idea. The earliest wind gens 100 yrs ago used windmill wheels until about 1925 when they wised up and figured out the propeller was more efficient. There are many propeller type pre REA wind gens out there many of which are still used today. US mfg made over 1 million and exported all over the world. There’s lots of info out there on the early machines on websites like Wincharger.com. I find the old iron machines with wood propellers superior to any modern machine in aesthetics and durability...but I’m obviously biased. Also check out @windchargermike on Instagram.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The windmill pictured is a good-old USA made Dempster windmill. Would be nice to know if that one is in your neighborhood, or you just grabbed a picture off the web. Dempster sold mills all over the globe.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
MMMichael

Post by MMMichael »

Thanks! I do also find the old iron machines with wood propellers nicer than modern glass fiber generators, but a bit too 'industrial' for my taste... I am more into 'rustic' farm-style design.

It need not be old-fashon technique - just old-fashion/rustic design. Even a glass fiber generator could be made in a rustic design I should believe... Like they do with cealing fans (see example on the picture, with colonial style wood and brass colour metal).

Sorry; the picture of the wind mill is grabbed from the internet. None of those here in Spain - only the ugly ones...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MMMichael

Post by MMMichael »

CTXmiller: Yes, it does certainly look like it. I will contact them. Thanks.