Traverse City Michigan new guy.

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
bobceng

Traverse City Michigan new guy.

Post by bobceng »

Hello all; just acquired a 1927 Aermotor A602 (my first mill) that needs restoration. I have mechanical questions that only someone that actually worked on an Aermotor could answer. Info that you can't find anywhere else.
Very happy to have found this group, eager to learn, and in turn share what I learn with others!
Todd

Re: Traverse City Michigan new guy.

Post by Todd »

Welcome to the board Bob! Lots of helpful people here!
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

20190428_152541.jpg
I believe you may have just called me on a land line, But I have experience with an A-602 and got it up and running without any problems.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobceng

Post by bobceng »

Hi, billcobb; thanks for replying. When it rains it pours! Two days ago, I could not find anyone who wanted to talk windmills; today there are dozens. I'll call you at the number you left.This forum is unbelievable.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I've poured babbitt in lots of those. Holler if you have questions.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
bobceng

Post by bobceng »

windybob: I worked as an engineer for the Detroit Public Schools when the last of the steam engines were being broken up for scrap. I saw one set of main bearings poured and scraped, with blueing used to check contact as scraping proceeded. The older guys all knew this stuff; I wish I could have seen more and learned this skill. I will probably holler in the near future!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Nice story. "Were being broken up for scrap" is hard to digest.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

bobceng Welcome to the forum. Lots of Aermotor's still out there pumping water. You will find lot's of help here.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Hi there ... I am nearly straight down M37 from you in Fremont. If you need any help, just shout. I also have a bit of 602 parts.
Thanks,
Ed
bobceng

Post by bobceng »

Thanks, Ed; the only parts I will need are (1) sail "vane"element, and an upper furl ring for an A602 Aermotor. The ring I can buy, and I am going to try making the single sheet metal element once I figure out the gauge. Just about everything else I've been able to repair or find on EBay. I bought my windmill in Grant, and the drive on M37 was very scenic and pleasant. Today I found a guy in Lake Leelanau, who recently restored an A602 and invited me to come see it pumping water on his farm. Thanks so much for the offer!