New old Aermotor

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
OkieHusker

New old Aermotor

Post by OkieHusker »

I recently finished rebuilding our 1928 Aermotor 602 windmill (8 foot wheel). I brought it down to Oklahoma from our family farm in Nebraska about 12 years ago. It had been lowered and laid face down for many years. I slowly and carefully broke it down, then let the gears, etc., soak in Marvel Mystery Oil for a couple of years or so. The tower was too badly bent to reuse, so I built a 25 foot tower with new corner posts, reusing the crossmembers. After cleaning, oiling, rebending, replacing, etc. my son and I raised the windmill a couple of weeks ago. We used a 14 foot "shear" gin pole, a winch attached to my car trailer, side guy wires, and another rope attached to a pickup to slow the final tipping into place. Worked great! Windmill is spinning like new. This windmill was owned by my Great Grandpa, Grandpa, my Dad, and now me. Amazing piece of machinery!
windybob

Re: New old Aermotor

Post by windybob »

Nice story! Thanks!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Nice to hear a piece of Nebraska history is living on in Oklahoma and didn't end up in the scrap yard. I have to ask and I have been around a lot of I am going to call home built, farmer built and some factory gin pole set ups but have never hear the term { shear} gin pole I Googled it up didn't find much other than it might be what I would call a tripod set up. Take care and stay safe.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Congratulations! Very satisfying when everything comes together and a project is successfully completed.

I'd like to see your mill, and your gin pole setup. Post pics if you can.

Glad you're here!
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

Gin poles are common around here.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.