Beautiful Kentucky

For topics related to rural living.
PaulV
Site Admin

Beautiful Kentucky

Post by PaulV » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:18 am

Visited family over the holidays in southwestern KY. Amish country. Spent quite a bit of time walking the fields enjoying nature. Therapy for the soul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV

Gregg

Re: Beautiful Kentucky

Post by Gregg » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:54 pm

I think Kentucky is a beautiful state. My son headed back to Fort Knox, Ky yesterday. Had been home on leave for a couple weeks. Yesterday here in Iowa it was 53 degrees (F), my bees were flying, I got my brush pile burnt and cleaned all my gutters and down spouts. A year ago it zero. So we enjoy the nice days!

Gregg

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:54 am

Visited my now X Brother-in-law in 2016 around Scotsville Ky. He took me to an Amish Feed Mill east of Scotsville it was powered by a 10 horse Horse Power walking in a circle driving a belt into the mill. They have a guy setting in the window to switch the horses if they decide to take a rest. Never had seen a horse power with that many horses. Lots of Amish around those parts also.

windybob

Post by windybob » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Kentucky is very nice! How many mills did you fetch Paul?
Memory plant.... Monitor, ( Baker Mfg Co ) never marketed a double-geared windmill.

PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Haha wish i could find a mill in Kentucky. Water runs out of the ground in most parts. I've only come across one mill in all of my Kentucky adventures. 6' Aermotor beside a house next to a roaring creek that was deep in a mountain valley in eastern KY. Was a spinner.
PaulV

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:03 am

Where the Amish feed mill was. I could see 3 Amish houses and they all had pumping windmills. Thats kinda SE of Bowling Green. In about 2007 I was in the Ohio Amish country around Millersburg. I was north pf Berlin and there was a Fairbanks Model G pumping water. I stopped and talked to the man. He still had his original owners manual.