U.S.W.E. Model Identification

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
MKinKS

U.S.W.E. Model Identification

Post by MKinKS »

Hi all! First time poster, so thank you for any insight you have.

I recently bought a house that has an old windmill in the back yard. I’ve done as much research as I can do and it appears to be a U.S. Wind Engine and Pump Co. mill. I’d really like to identify the model and figure out about how old it is to decide if I’m going to sell.

Here’s the info I have (photos attached):
- the tail has the visible large US, but the rest is pretty rusted and can’t be made out
- the pump says Batavia IL
- the fan looks similar to the other USWE mills I’ve seen

Any advice on narrowing in on a model (or if I’m on the right track with the company?)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IvanBlock

Re: U.S.W.E. Model Identification

Post by IvanBlock »

Looking at the configuration of the tail vane hinge to determine the difference between a Model F and the Ace model I am certain its a Model F oil bath...
windybob

Post by windybob »

Welcome to the site!
Not sure what model it is, Or how much closer they could have planted that utility pole to it. That's a restorers dream come true. It's all there to start with. I do not have any USWE items, I guess the sales force didn't visit here much. The concrete slab under it may indicate a hand-dug well. I'm thinking it's all a matched unit. Most units here are married, one brand head, to another brand tower.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

It is worth more laying down than standing up. The money is in the hand pump.
MKinKS

Post by MKinKS »

Thanks for all the feedback! It is indeed on top of a hand-dug brick lined well that hasn’t been in use for who knows how long. Looking into getting the well decommissioned so guess the next step is to get the mill sold. Thanks again!
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I got to respectfully disagree with Bryon on that one! That mill is a nice one, I have an Ace mill I am pretty fond of, I do collect pumps also but you find them on every single farm, unusual mills that are complete are much more valuable.