Wooden mill

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
JBarker

Wooden mill

Post by JBarker »

What mill did this come off of?? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
pcowley (RIP)

Re: Wooden mill

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

That is a Raymond,probably a Pipe Raymond Check the parts number on the regulator bar with the Raymond parts list. The wheel clips on the very early mills were solid on the end and had 3 sizes on them. The later ones were cast with a rectangle hole in them. You will probably have to measure the blade length to get the size mill.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

There are 2 giveaways to it's ID First the wheel clips and second the bolt holding the regulator bar (dog bone) does not go through a blade and there are 7 blades on one side of that bolt and 6 on the other causing the blades on the 7 side to be closer together than the 6 side.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I have taken a lot of them down in my life, many of them that I did in this area had 14 blades in a section. also, I have Model L Monitors in 12 and 13 and even 14 blades, I asked Cornie Friesen about this one time and he said when he was a child, his dad had purchased enough new old stock sections from an aftermarket maker to fill a Butler grain bin and that is how he and his siblings (there were a lot of them) made money, was selling replacement sections. I don't know if he had any idea where they were made, I wish I would have asked but all the old one I got appeared to be Cypress and were very well spaced. On the 14 blade PR sections, the dog bone is not always in the same place, sometimes the bolt staggers the center, sometimes dead on, I wondered if they were not drilled at the factory but drilled by the farmer or seller putting them up? I have found several like you mentioned that were solid and said "10ft, 12ft 14ft" so I assume the rare 14ft must have used the same size of cross piece wood as the smaller mills but I have always wondered what the 16ft had and if there was even one still out there? Surely someone has found an end clip? I would love to learn more about the bigger ones but I don't even have a parts list for one?