Baker Direct Stroke Connecting Rod ?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
billcobb

Baker Direct Stroke Connecting Rod ?

Post by billcobb »

I bought this hunk of cast steel at an estate auction for $5 thinking it was the connecting rod for a Baker Direct Stroke windmill motor. However, it has an offset crank pin location. My Baker Direct Stroke motor's connecting rod is a little smaller and straight (with no offset). Am I on the right track or is this from an old steam engine or basket weaving machine ? All ideas, including paperweight options are encouraged...
20190310_165844.jpg
20190310_165740.jpg
20190310_165726.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Baker Direct Stroke Connecting Rod ?

Post by windybob »

Well, that's interesting....
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You mention steam engines could it have been the outside part of the eccentric that worked the steam valve?
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Yes, that's a possibility. But, an eccentric flange for a steam engine slide valve actuator is usually 2 pieces( bearing race is capped and the neck is a bolt on. too, so the valve timing and cutoff distance can be adjusted. Also, the steam parts never used a ball bearing race like what I see in this part. It compares very well to my Baker Heller-Aller Model 8 Direct Stroke part (including the ball bearing race) except for the offset. This thing is also quite a bit larger, so maybe for a giant Baker version ?
windybob

Post by windybob »

If you have the "black book" it will say what sizes it was made in. Also, if it's malleable cast it certainly could have been run over or damaged. I think they always called it "semi-steel". I have pipe wrenches made from that stuff with bent handles.....lol (darn cheaters)
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

20190313_194554.jpg
Actually its a 'green book'. This is looking pretty close as far as I can tell. 8 footer con rod is strait, 10 footer has a dog leg offset.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well, despite what it says, I'm not convinced of it's "superiority" over all competitors. lol

So I guess your part is identified? I have not seen that picture before.