Can anyone help me identify the make and possible year of the wind I just purchased.

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Kevin

Re: Can anyone help me identify the make and possible year of the wind I just purchased.

Post by Kevin »

It is an 8 foot Aermotor 1903 Model "R.A" or Removable Arms open gear windmill.
I posted a some info and a parts list in the library.
It looks like half of the main frame is gone! The main frame should wrap all the way around the mast pipe.
Dew

Re: Can anyone help me identify the make and possible year of the wind I just purchased.

Post by Dew »

Kevin ; Is it possible to get the gears moving again or am I looking at replacement ? Recommendations ?
Dew

Post by Dew »

Where is this library Kevin is talking about I am new at this site an technology
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

DOn't have my book here, but it is a R A model. The last open gear they made, until 1915 when the 502 came out for one year, then the 602 until 1933. Yes Dan B has parts. I just got mostly finished with my 1903 model that was right before the R A model.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Dew,
With most of the main frame missing, plus you are missing a few key parts so you have a lot of work ahead of you.
The first questions to ask is, what are you going to do with that windmill when you have it restored?
To me, any open gear windmill is an artifact that should not be placed on a tall tower and be subject to damage by a storm.
If you want a windmill to spin and enjoy, find a oil bath windmill and restore it. Self-lubricating / oil bath windmills are much more robust.
After that, start looking for some parts for your RA.
The good news is the tower can be used on any Aermotor style windmill. Change out the mast pipe and stick a newer Aermotor 602 or 702 and let her spin is my advice.
(I just looked and the Aermotor full list price for a 33 foot tower is $4,000+)
That is just my perspective, I would like to hear what other folks think.
Kevin
Smax

Post by Smax »

Nice find d
Dew

Post by Dew »

Kevin, I'm wanting one just to spin so I can set out in the lawn chair and enjoy watching it spin. I have no live stock anymore so I dont need it for watering but I've always wanted one. What is your recommendation a 602 or 702? But I still would like to restore the open gear I'm learning a lot about windmills in the last couple of weeks. I very much appreciate
your opinion and others on this . Thank you ~ Dew
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

This site is the place to start learning. Try to connect to someone in your area and make a few face to visits.
We have a windmill annual swap meet that moves each year. See https://www.kregelwindmillfactorymuseum ... gistration
The RA will be a fun project plus it is a historical artifact that should be saved. But, it will take time and once you get one windmill up and spinning, it is easier to keep working on the harder projects.
The good news on the RA:
All Aermotor windmills use the same wheel. A new wheel will fit on the 1897 Aermotor. Start looking for good Aermotor wheel.
The “v” wheel arms (spokes) used on the RA is the same as the wheel arms on the Aermotor 602 made up to 1933. They are not that hard to find.
The same with the tail vane, they all fit.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Well said Kevin.

I'd tuck this one away and find another to work on and get up & spinning. In the mean time I'd keep my eyes open for another open gear Aermotor, hopefully missing parts but with good main frame. I think an A402 frame (like you partially have) or an A2 frame (like used on the bell hub and 1903 non RA) would work. If I remember right the rest of the parts would go on either frame.

Also, do you have the upper tail bone cassting?? If not you may want to look around for more parts. Its probably in more that one piece. Kevin posted a pic of one in WindyBob's thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=270
Thanks,
Ed