Can anyone help me identify the make and possible year of the wind I just purchased.

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Dew

Re: Can anyone help me identify the make and possible year of the wind I just purchased.

Post by Dew »

What should I use on the gears to free them up and get them moving again. ~Dew~
windybob

Re: Can anyone help me identify the make and possible year of the wind I just purchased.

Post by windybob »

Use some good penetrating oil on everything that moves, and everything you think should move. Tap around to help the oil soak in. Do this for a while until something gets moving.

I forgot what kind of windmill you had. Maybe you can start taking off a few parts and that will help.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok, it's an Aermotor. Maybe unscrew the grease cups wherever they are, and put oil in there too. The hub shaft and gear shaft are in babbitt, so they may not be stuck very much. Oil everything. Be patient. there is a shaft where the rocker arm goes on the mainframe, it is steel on steel. Chances are it's rusted and stuck. This may be the worst place. be careful. Just tap stuff, don't hit it. Thin cast iron is brittle, but you can be a bit harder on thick cast iron.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Dew

Post by Dew »

It's a 1903 "open gear" Aermotor
Aermotor Fan

Post by Aermotor Fan »

Dew,

Can you post a picture of the tower, the whole length.

Adam
Dew

Post by Dew »

20190331_101811.jpg

Adam ,
Here is a picture of it when we brought her home. I posted some pictures at the beginning. When I was asking for help identifying what I had bought. ~Dew~
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dew

Post by Dew »

20190331_101811.jpg

Adam ,
Here is a picture of it when we brought her home. I posted some pictures at the beginning. When I was asking for help identifying what I had bought. ~Dew~
Aermotor Fan

Post by Aermotor Fan »

Dew,

I thought it was a different style of a Aermotor tower.
windmillerman

Post by windmillerman »

Same mill was my first, now many later
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windmillerman

Post by windmillerman »

More