Woodmanse model identification

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Time2run21

Re: Woodmanse model identification

Post by Time2run21 »

So have we come to the conclusion this model is a direct stroke Woodmanse oil bath? Is there and letter that goes with the model or is it just called a direct stroke? Thanks guys
windybob

Post by windybob »

Correct Wayne, gee you're getting smart. \ Or a good reader like me. lol

Okay, now the scoop, taken from the book. Introduced in 1926. For a few years, the 10 ft direct stroke was made. It supposed to have the eccentric similar to the internal geared Oil Rite. Steel one was on the market longer than the wood one, or up until the war.

It does not say anything about the tilt of the sails being different. However, most direct stroke mills have their sails tilted in a fashion that does not enable speed, but a slower more steady turning. You don't want a D S mill's wheel turning very fast, due to the fact that they make 1 pump stroke for every one turn of the wheel.

Of course, this is one of a very few DS self oiling mills. Nice catch.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Time2run21

Post by Time2run21 »

So we confirmed this is a Woodmanse oil bath direct stroke is there any model number that goes with it?
Time2run21

Post by Time2run21 »

Thanks everybody you’ve all been a great help dose anyone have any pictures of what would go here where I have it circled?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

No model number that I know of. All the model numbers are for the geared models. I will check another book if i remember in the morn.

not sure about the broken area. Need to get a look at one of mine.
Time2run21

Post by Time2run21 »

Thank you yes if you could check for me I kind of of think it must be something to do with pulling in the tail maybe would have had some sort of pulley on it????? Possibly?? I’m thinking something has to change the direction of the chain???
windybob

Post by windybob »

Probably a pulley, yes. I would not have any measurements, I have nothing 10 foot.
Time2run21

Post by Time2run21 »

Maybe the 8 foot would be similar???anything you could find for somewhat of a reference would be great!!!!!
windybob

Post by windybob »

OKay the model of the mill is a GD. The pulley and lever is number 10-GD-16. On the regular 10 ft Model G Woodmanse, the part number is 10-G-16 . There are a lot of parts that interchange between the geared model, and Direct Stroke model. I'm thinking that this may be one, but not positive. The model G is the geared, GD ( Direct) is the direct stroke. That;s yours. I will post this, then look in the library to see if there is any Woodmanse lit. I have some at the shop, and was looking at the pictures, and parts lists for both models. Maybe someone has one from a 10 ft Mod G.
windybob

Post by windybob »

There is, what you need in the library here. I will try to separate the pertinant pages, and post for your perusal. haha