Make and model of this mill?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
windybob

Re: Make and model of this mill?

Post by windybob »

for the mainshaft I used a 1 inch shaft. I skipped the small keyslots for the pinions, but pinned the pinions to the shaft like a 602 Aermotor. For the bullgear shaft I used a piece of 7/8 and babbitted the bore. It had a step-shaft of 1 1/8 down to 7/8 on both ends for the gears, but i just used a straight 7/8 and ran a new bearing, where there was not one before. No choice on the mainshaft, because there was no room for babbitt anyplace.
Remember, some of these mills are for show, so i may skip something that is not seen, possibly to make things better, or maybe a bit easier. like with the small keyslots under the pinions. Heck, I've been called out behind the barn for colors, so from now on, original colors are my preferance. Now I will be called out for skipping minor things I could fib about. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I only found two Co's that put a serial number tag on there engines. Stover and Axtell. May be more but haven't come across them.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have a 8 ft Star 37 that has a tag on the helmet.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Makes me wonder why and why not?
Terry

Post by Terry »

David Bradly had tags on them. Made by Monitor. I have several of the David Bradly's
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Do they have a serial num on them?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Mine has a serial #1870 stamped in the cast just above the tag. The tag is illegible. Mine is what I believe to be a 8.5’ Sears Champion or identical to that of the Air Flow, but with a different vane.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

My Stover mod M has a number on top of the snout like that. I do have a Sears Champion, I think they are Model M's. I don't think they are Air Flows. They are either M's or S's. But not both.
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

PaulV wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:32 am

Champion stover late.JPG
I recognize that second one. That is my photo of a mill here in MN.