Part ? On Airflow

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
CTXmiller

Part ? On Airflow

Post by CTXmiller »

This is more of a “what is this used for?” as opposed to “name that part question”, but it could be both. Probably a dumb question, but I’ll ask...

This came off an Airflow 8.5’ and was attached to the spokes as per the photo.

The wheel was not attached to the motor when I purchased the mill and the mill/tower had purportedly been down since at least the 1990s, per the prior owner.

The square headed nuts and threaded part of the carriage bolts on all five of the spokes affixed to this part were so damaged I had to drill most of the carriage bolts out. It is hard to figure out what could have caused that damage to the carriage bolt threads and square nuts affixed to this round cast part.

It possesses part # 3A8 which according to literature I’ve looked up calls this part a “spider with plug, studs and set screw” or basically the hub. It is not the hub, but is the same diameter as the spoke assembly (hub) nearest the gearbox. Looking at the parts diagram, I don’t see this (my) part in the diagram list. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Part ? On Airflow

Post by CTXmiller »

Parts List
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windmillsrus

Re: Part ? On Airflow

Post by Windmillsrus »

That is part of the hub. It must have gotten cut off by the brake or something. You are missing most of the hub. I can get you a picture of one if you like.