ID help, please...?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
JeffreyMead1701

ID help, please...?

Post by JeffreyMead1701 »

I have a strong hunch what make and model it is, but I'm looking for confirmation.

Thanks, all!
2018 - Windmill Tower.jpg
2017 Garage Rear, Windmill Tower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: ID help, please...?

Post by Wayne »

I'm thinking Woodmanse Model 45!
JeffreyMead1701

I was actually thinking Samson Model M, which was interchangeable with the Woodmanse 45. It's definitely a Stover/Samson tower.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The hub actually looks like what's on my Steel Eclipse. I used to think Woodmanse made them for Fairbanks but Windy said no and I do have a book that tells that the Steel Eclipse was the last windmill built by Fairbanks.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wait a minute....I said no? After Woodmanse bought out Stovers mills and such, they did make a mill called Eclipse for F/M. Or maybe even 2. The Model 33 and the 45. I think the 45 was the 'mailbox mill', but I will check tomorrow. Now I'm going back to see where I said no. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm sorry if I misquoted you. I thought you got me on the right track when I said the blade sections from a Steel Eclipse was the same as a Woodmanse because Woodmanse made the Steel Eclipse. After looking you were right they weren't the same. When I say Steel Eclipse I'm talking about the tilted head with the spiral gear. Which in my book about the history of Fairbanks Morse it tells that the Steel Eclipse was the last Windmill Manufactured by them. I don't remember what we were talking about when the subject came up. Sometime back!
windybob

Post by windybob »

You are right, that was the last Eclipse made by them. From then on, they sold other companies' mills with the Eclipse name on them. The Eclipse name was very good to F/M so they kept it until the very end of the windmill days. Even though other mills were certainly not Eclipse, they stuck the name on them anyway. They probably had a dog mascot running around the factory named Eclipse too.

Here's the history...

Actual WG Eclipse from F/M
Mod 33 made by Woodmanse (New Eclipse)
Model 37 by the Milfound Co. (actually a Running In Oil Giant.)
A short lived Mod 40
A Deluxe Eclipse in 1941
Mod 45 Eclipse from Woodmanse. This would be the "Mailbox" windmill.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Ok so were still fishing Buddies? I agree about the Mailbox
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh yeah. Problem is....I'm way behind on my fishing.
JeffreyMead1701

Thanks, fellas...I think that, between your thoughts, and a little more digging I did on my own, I've solved the mystery. Cheers! :D