Help ID windmill

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
sandebaker

Help ID windmill

Post by sandebaker »

I have been searching the internet for help identifying this windmill head with not much luck. Was looking to restore it; however, this is all I have to start with. No cover for the gearbox and no tail or linkage from the tail to the brake. Also wondering if there should be a top to the bearing at the front and some sort of seal around the front part of the main driveshaft? About the only thing I have figured out and to go on is that it is a rope oiled gearbox. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
windmill1.jpg
windmill2.jpg
windmill3.jpg
windmill4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JLM

Re: Help ID windmill

Post by JLM »

I looked at windmill parts .com and it appears to be a Butler direct stroke oil o matic. The cross head is oiled by a chain on the back geared model.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Welcome to the board! That is a direct stroke Butler Oilomatic. It is missing the upper bearing cap, front cover, and the oiler chain. Also looks like the tail vane castings are all missing as well. I will see if I have a scan of the parts list I can send you. Nice find, there aren't a whole lot of these direct stroke Butlers still out there!
JLM

Post by JLM »

I've never seen one before in my area. Run in oil direct strokes are not common to begin with.
sandebaker

Post by sandebaker »

Thanks for the responses, wasn't wanting to hear the "not common" part of it; but was having a hard time finding info to go on without a manufacturer or anything.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I will have to run a scan of my catalogs tomorrow. Here's a couple pics of a complete one I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JLM

Post by JLM »

It is awesome to have a less common mill more of a reason to restore it . Or trade it in to someone on here for a more complete mill. Either way great find and thanks for sharing!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Whatever happened to Big Country's inventory of parts? He may have had some hard to find parts for mills, but where did all that stuff go?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Paul Behrends Is in wood wheel butler area. I don't know how many steel wheel mills are in his area,but you might contact him and see if he has anything.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Windy
Whatever happened to Big Country's inventory of parts? He may have had some hard to find parts for mills, but where did all that stuff go?
Randy had an auction on June 14, 2014 after the 2014 Tradefair in Calhan.

I was probably the largest total dollar purchaser of 10,000# of Aermotor parts.
auction 002.JPG

A local NE scrap dealer did a large haul also.

trade fair & auction 003.JPG

The Balsicks were also a large buyer, picking up a lot of heads of non Aermotor manufacture.

In Randy fashion, there was not the quantity/quality of sheet metal at the auction that was there in the spring when I looked at the entire inventory for purchase. Also there were no individual rare mills that sold for any large sum so guessing those were removed, either by prior sale or for later private treaty.

It was after this sale, that I formulated the need for the "morning after" the auction pill..

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO