FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT WINDMILL

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
hwy8

FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT WINDMILL

Post by hwy8 »

All of these photos (except the brown one with cedar shingles) look like a Baker L to me....The brown-colored, "shingled one" is the oldest photo and thought to have been taken by Wright himself. I'm wondering what kind of machine that is? (I think the tower was new in 1896)
images-2.jpeg
1171_crop-w-writing.jpg
Romeo-and-Juliet-e1496802448930-1.jpg
romeo-juliet-windmill.jpg
0406000018-l.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hwy8 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hwy8

Re: FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT WINDMILL

Post by hwy8 »

How do I get rid of the photo data that is on the bottom of my attachments? Do I have to rename them or ? before I attach them?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The first ones look like a Monitor Model L. The last on I'm not sure could be a Bob Tail Raymond
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

FLW_RomeoAndJuliet_Windmill.JPG
Been replaced several times. Most recent was during a total restoration. I built a copy and it awaits siding. Roof is done. Put 2 spiral staircases in the 'water tower section (Juliet) to avoid need for a ladder.

More to the story:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

hwy8, place your attachments in-line and they will appear within the body of your post.

billcobb, did I read it currently.... you're building a copy?
PaulV
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

billcobb: Wow! I've been interested in that tower/mill on and off over the years and had never seen the youtubes that you posted. I was thinking of making a 6' or so model and now that I see what you are doing, I'm envious! I've never seen blueprints, etc. from the original; are they available somewhere?
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Found some drawings and went from there. Mine is 1/2 scale because my lift only goes up 35 ft. I did build a small 1/12 scale balsa wood model to guide me and also have a 1/12 scale plastic model of the JLG T-350 to guide the construction process. The lift is maxed out when addressing the F&W Model 24 up on top.
FLW RomeoJuiet Side view.jpg
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

The 2 spiral stairs I managed to shoehorn in there have been a hit because friends and neighbors can easily climb up to the top section observation deck. I have a 10' ladder from there to the mill on top. Had some extra concrete from a driveway pour so we formed the base a foot or so and there's 3 tons of concrete holding that baby up along with traditional angle iron leg extensions. We watch fireworks and fireflies from up there. She's up on the highest part of the local landscape so you can see for 10 miles. Room for 4 easily. Nobody seems to fear the height with the stairs and handrail.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I thought that I read somewhere when the tower was built, that it originally had an "Original Monitor" with the ball weight that was introduced about 1892. I will have to search to see if I read it somewhere or where I got that idea.

Gregg