Tower cap id

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
windybob

Re: Tower cap id

Post by windybob »

I can say with some confidence what it is probably not. At least from what I saw this morning. I have several that are somewhat like it, but have differences. Or...it resembles it, but the bolt pattern is different.
It does NOT seem to be...
Stover
Woodmanse
F/W
Currie
Dempster
Some Elgins
F/M
Monitor.

The following pictures will conclude my thoughts on the matter. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

This was on the shelf in the shop. I don't know what it came from, no matter. No cup on it anyway.
Tower top in shop.jpeg

This is for a New Elgin. Not sure if it has a cup on the top. Bolt pattern is different also. Looks to be a slightly different casting than the 1st picture. You can see it in the shadowing.
New Elgin.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Out of the old Challenge book. Challenge was famous for the curved notch in the bottom of the cap. Even though this picture doesn't have one, I have a Challenge 27 tower cap, and a Dandy tower cap with curved cutouts.

Challenge.jpeg

Here is Stover font style. Plus, Stover numbers go up into the 3 thousands, where most other manufacturers don't. However, I cannot find any old Stover tower tops that appear to fit the look.
Stover numbers font.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Here is an Axtell. HAs the right bolt pattern, and a cup. However, the casting has it differences. And i doubt that Fred made a lot of stuff for other companies. I mean, not like Challenge, or some other very large company. (Stover etc)
Axtell.jpeg
Here is an Elgin Wonder cap. It may be what I had shown earlier, not sure.

Elgin Wonder.jpeg
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I really appreciate the effort. This cap may have to remain a mystery for a while.
Another clue is that the Aerodyne was manufactured in Minneapolis. The windmill tower manufacturer they would have used would likely not be too far away. Also the green color on the cap might be a clue assuming that’s it’s original color.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Overall, I would say it's a good possibility it's made by Challenge. Color, style, and the tower drawing resembles it also. But that's just a guess.
Another great mystery like Oak Island. lol
Wind Charger Mike

I think you’re right. I see similar shaped Challenge caps, with casting stamps in same location starting with “3”, plus color and tower are right. Im going with Challenge until someone proves otherwise. Thanks for your help.
windybob

Post by windybob »

You're welcome.
Wind Charger Mike

Btw, this Aerodyne also pumps water. In winds too low to overcome the prop starting torque, you could run the generator as a motor to get the pumping started, then turn the motor off and pump all day....that’s the story passed down by the farmer that once owned this Aerodyne.
1D99A52C-2538-4562-AE96-B4FA01ACC266.jpeg
[attachment=0]CF624448-B1A9-42E9-8269-CCF1E0A0A60E.
windybob

Post by windybob »

A machine Rube Goldberg would have been proud of....