Tower cap id

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Minnemiller

Re: Tower cap id

Post by Minnemiller »

Mike,
That is certainly an interesting mill and would be a great addition to a collection. Do you know of other survivors? Where were these manufactured?
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

61D6F316-9022-4A8C-A09A-134BFD2C0DFF.jpeg
This Aerodyne is the only one I’m aware of. Its an early version made in Minneapolis by George Manikowske, founder of Aerodyne. The later versions of this model were produced by Keri Keen in Sioux City. Manikowske’s original company, Wind Electric Co produced the Aerolite from 1915 to 1922. The only known Aerolite is the one that sold at the Weibusch auction last month. Any idea who bought the Aerolite? I’d like to visit it someday, get some up close photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

That is very interesting- right in my backyard. Not surprising though with Aerolite and Jacobs and some other firms here too. I believe the Aerolite went to a collector in far southern MN. I have his name somewhere I think. Its sad but I don't believe Ralph learned what it was before his passing. Chris Gillis identified it for us last fall.

The Terhorst is the other dual purpose mill this discussion reminds me of. Would like to find a period correct generator for ours at some point, just for aesthetics. It doesn't have to be an exact fit, just look the part.
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I was able to visit Roger a few months ago and get close up pictures of his machine. I’ll keep an eye out for something similar. There’s one sitting in a barn somewhere waiting to be discovered.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

You are correct about "waiting to be discovered "
Yesterday i was outside Georgetown TX and an old farmers place. 83 years old . Have has amassed at least 3 open gear windmills, a Dempster 14, and LOT's more stuff.
He admitted he would live to 147 before he could get a good start on restoring some of the stuff he wont part with.
But he did sell me a hit & miss engine for my water pump
Mike B
New Braunfels TX