Tower cap id

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Wind Charger Mike

Tower cap id

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

This cap was used by a wind electric company called Aerodyne. It was fairly common for the wind gen companies to use windmill towers. Thought it might be Dempster but not certain
Thanks
8664BBD8-6605-43F9-AEA6-8AFFC5660C03.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Tower cap id

Post by windybob »

Pretty sure it's not a modern Dempster,. or not like one I have ever seen. Unless it's VERY early. Have any pictures of the tower?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wind Charger Mike

F57118A6-85B6-4175-BB9B-19B57C26B3DA.jpeg
Only an advertising illustration. Dates to around 1927.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Hmmm. Let me look on the shelf. Seems I've seen that kind before.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Looking at the picture I see straight sides like the tower legs did not attach at a angle. So. I am surmising that it not go on a wind mill tower. Don't ask me witch one, but I remember a wind mill that had about a three foot stub that was square. I am getting old so the recollection is not good.Wendybob won't know, but I think it was a wood blade mill. AND I am to lazy to try to look it up. It does look like it had a bearing it the top. Challenge had a bearing like that and I think there was a very,very,very early Challenge that had a short straight stub.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Wind Charger Mike

The pic is misleading, it does have an angle as can be seen from illustration. I attached a couple pics of another identical cap. Both have casting number of 3366. I got this one from Chuck Rickgauer a few years back. At the time he thought it was Dempster but not certain.
8E348716-A949-4F7F-8EC8-07660B14C499.jpeg
64B2F3E0-BA7B-4877-921A-931161A7FABD.jpeg
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Dempster and Challenge are very similar,but will not interchange. One has a lock ring that holds it together( Dempster????)the other has nothing to hold the two halves together. I don't remember what the bolt hole pattern is on either one. I remember having to wire the bearing to the top of the mast pipe when I stabbed one them on the tower.
I think what I said about a straight sided tower cap is true.My apologies,but it sure looked like the sides were straight.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have yet to get back to the shop and look on the shelf. I think today I can.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Dempster did use 4 digit part nums on there top castings. I bet the parts lady at Dempster could have told you if it is Dempster. She was good.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Dempster tower caps are 1257. And I'm not a lady. lol