Just curiouse

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Just curiouse

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

The number of informative posts are way down on here. Sadly, we can't see the old posts and I admit, coming here to search for past posts was my main reason to visit. However, is the lack of posts a barometer on the health of the windmill hobby? I really thought with all the lock downs, posts would have expanded on here but that did not happen. Most of the old time experts are oddly absent and most are still with us so did they get bored with the computer or did they get bored with the hobby? I am always glad to see new guys but its not like the old days when you were new because someone gave you a windmill and your hobby expanded with days driving around asking if you could have one.

Anyway, seeing this group and hobby continue to prosper is important to me, I don't want to see rare windmills go to China on a scrap ship but that is what will happen if people don't stay interested. Just throwing this out here, what are you guys' thoughts?
windybob

Re: Just curiouse

Post by windybob »

My thoughts are we sure lost a lot of people this year, due to their passing.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Back when we had a void with no forum, the FB group started up (or at least started moving). Not that there are tons of posts there ... but I believe there are a portion that would be on here if it did not exist. More people posting here, we would then have more build threads, etc.

Of course, what did I do the last two days??? Today ... machined a few new castings, yesterday ... gas welded some worn parts with cast iron filler rod. And didn't even think to take any pics.

And you are right windy, we certainly lost a bunch of people this year.
Thanks,
Ed
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Ed, if those are IXLs your not going to continue to ruin my life with jealousy if you don't post pictures!
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

LOL, ok ... Pics just for you two.
Drilling pivot holes, had to get a carbide bit as the cast iron had aperently chilled making white iron.
IMG_20210602_182931994.jpg
Test fitting the fulcrum doohickey.
IMG_20210602_183908789.jpg
Top is a replacement. Bottom I welded up the huge egged out hole.
IMG_20210602_183038635.jpg
Upper guide supports. The fingers broke on my good pattern in shipping. So I had him pour two. That area was hard as crap, had to use solid carbide endmill. Still need to fillet the corners, but I need a carbide cutter with large radius.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Ed
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Thank you! I am back to jealous again! You know, I get castings from the Amish sometime that have a bad chill issue so since I am cheap, I get carbide masonry bits and sharpen the carbide attached, then drill through the hard skin and go back to a regular bit and drill until it dulls, they go back to the carbide. Cheap cement bits work better than you think, just don't put them in the Bridgeport or you will blow them up.

Looking sharp, can't wait to see the finished product!
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Thanks for the tip. Unfortately these SOBs were hard through & through. The last one I drilled tonight even chipped the new carbide bit, about halfway through the hole. Something's def funky with this iron, you generally don't get harder in the middle. I'm guessing the ferrous silicon was not mixed well enough.
Thanks,
Ed
Kansas Rust Buzzard

The Amish are really bad about not leaving it in the mould over night and taking it out when still red hot, it chills it pretty bad and its almost like it had no Ferro Silicon added. There used to be a plow company here and they did the same thing to their points. they had cores so they didn't have to drill. Suckers so hard it was like drilling a hoof file!
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Mister Ed wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:27 pm Back when we had a void with no forum, the FB group started up (or at least started moving). Not that there are tons of posts there ... but I believe there are a portion that would be on here if it did not exist. More people posting here, we would then have more build threads, etc.

Of course, what did I do the last two days??? Today ... machined a few new castings, yesterday ... gas welded some worn parts with cast iron filler rod. And didn't even think to take any pics.

And you are right windy, we certainly lost a bunch of people this year.
What are you using for Cast Iron Filler Rod? Thanks
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Hi Jeff -
I bought both rod and flux from the below link (top two items):
https://www.tinmantech.com/products/wel ... pplies.php

I'm not saying either the above rod or flux are the best out there, just what I ordered to try. I do see alot of recommendations for Peterson's #2 flux. I can also remember way back in the day that cast piston rings were commonly used as filler rod.
Thanks,
Ed