A little cool today

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Gregg

A little cool today

Post by Gregg »

It is a little bit cool here in Iowa (Antarctica) today. This morning was minus 23 F. with a wind chill of minus 51 F. Postal Service cancelled service, all schools, colleges, court houses, some banks and numerous other businesses closed. Last night on the news they were talking to some people in one of the "homeless camps" in Des Moines. Trying to get people into heated shelters. The hold outs wouldn't go because their pet wasn't allowed to go with them. A couple of the animal shelters were offering free pet boarding to get the people in out of the cold. Makes you appreciate a furnace that is running non stop. I can't imagine sleeping in a tent in this weather.

I went to the airport in Des Moines to pick my wife up at midnight last night. She flew in from spending a week in Phoenix, Almost a 100 degree temperature swing for her. They are predicting it is suppose to get up to +44 F Saturday and +49 F on Sunday. The old Iowa saying is "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes it will change".
Gregg
windybob

Re: A little cool today

Post by windybob »

I really feel bad for you people up north. Horrible cold, and deadly wind chills. Once in a lifetime occurance I hope. Nobody needs to deal with that.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've been wondering about you folks up north. I'm complaining because its 50 and the wind is blowing can't imagine -20. I can't imagine you would get much sleeping done in a tent when it's -23 outside. I moved into a new house in 1984 the only heat was a wood burning stove and we happened to have one of our coldest winters that year. I spent most of the nights putting wood on the fire and the days scavenging for fire wood. By the summer we had a heat pump.
73stang

Post by 73stang »

It was -28 yesterday and for the first time since we were cordially invited to live in Minot ND by the Air Force in 1980...they shut down the...schools...city...damn near the whole state. Yes it was cold outside but any rational person would protect themselves while outside. There has been a big change in this society...been pansy-fied.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Amen. lol
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Well, Iowa isn't all bad. It got up to 45F yesterday and just reached 50F today. Snow is all gone!! There is a lot of winter left, but this is a nice break.
Gregg
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

It hit -30 here. The silver lining is it killed some terrible creatures that are an invasive pest, emerald ash borer. My property tree coverage is mostly ash now after dutch elm disease came through many years ago. It looks like we are not done with the cold, its predicted to be -17 for a low on Friday.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

-17 oh my! Then I guess I'm going to be a balmy 29 in the morning. Yes we always hope for enough cold to kill the unwanted criters. I'm working on a roof with asphalt shingles. I keep finding Yellow Jackets and wasp hibernating under the shingles.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh my. Wayne, might not be a good idea to install shingles in the winter, they may not seal to each other properly. I always thought that was a spring or fall job. Not fall.....unintended pun. lol
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm putting metal on the roof. I'm trying to get it done before it gets too hot for this old man to get up there. You know roofing is like windmilling there is never any shade.Around here anyway our musqkete tree's don't grow that tall.