Drilling a Well

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

Re: Drilling a Well

Post by Wayne »

That's what I was wondering. I've seen only one horse hooked to a walk behind plow like that fellow seems to be using but there they have 7 camels. That may be why they are using horses to pull the fresno's. Only one animal to deal with.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Camels were used by our own military and others both in the US and abroad. Being a Gatling Gun Fan, I have always heard the legend of the model 74 Camel Gun, the short barreled Gatling being used by legions of Arab soldiers. I had never seen an actual photo other than the sketches the savvy advertisers at Colt's used in Victorian ads and I really was skeptical Gatlings were ever fielded in that capacity by any sane human. I mean who would mount a heavy cumbersome loud gun inches above the head of an animal he was riding? However, 20 some years ago a fellow offered to trade an item to me for a very poorly stored ancient camel saddle with just such a mount and the give away pouches for holding the Broadwell feed drums. I wish I could have made that trade but I had bills that needed paying more than an exotic gun mount for a weapon I didn't own but I am certain some were made. Looking at the Colt records, no more than a hand full would have been exported to countries who would have fielded them in the Middle East and I suspect it was most likely an experiment with Hi Jolly's (SP) group in Arizona.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

They probably fired that thing one time and they still haven't found the camel or rider!