How's the Virus affecting folks?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
windybob

Re: How's the Virus affecting folks?

Post by windybob »

Kevin, can I use that? (for another place)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Please feel free to share that photo. If you are having trouble downloading it, just email me and I will send it to you.
I was watching the sky turn dark as I was thinking of the uncertainty of the day. I looked up at the Dempster 12 and saw the blue sky. Then I realized that I forgot a great lesson from Greek mythology:
When Pandora opened the forbidden box, every trouble known to humanity flew out. Strife, sickness and other evils escaped from the box. She slammed the lid closed and cried.
Later, Pandora found one spirit hiding in the bottom of the box. Of course, it was “hope” that is always to be found when we look carefully.
Let’s never forget that we must look for hope after we cry.
pandora1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kevin on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thank you.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Windy Those grain drills were built in the teens up into the 20's. They were used to plant your grain in between the corn rows before you had finished harvesting the corn. When your corn was done you would have your next crop in the ground.
A story for you. Back in the 20's all roads were dirt. When it rained this meant mud. The road coming into Navarro Co from Henderson crossed the Trinity river and went into the river bottom. Needless to say during rainy season the local farmers spent a great deal of there time pulling people out of the mud and muck. A local business man decided to build a tarmac from the river to higher ground. He had a Fordson tractor that ran a saw mill, cut 2X12 and 2x6's. He nailed the 2x6's to the side of the 2X12's to keep the tires on the boards. When the tarmac ran across a slough they needed pilings. A local mechanic built a pile driver to mount on the Fordson tractor. After it was finished at each end was an iron pipe gate and a toll both on stilts up out of the mud and muck. The toll collector would let a can down connected to the fishing line of a rod and reel and collect the toll. So there you have it. Southern ingenuity.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Interesting! However, the roads you describe are still identical to that, here. So much for progress.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I understand Windy. In 2017 when I was looking for a new home and I started searching here in Navarro Co I quickly noticed that when you got off the Farm to market roads and the main highways and onto county roads you were on gravel or road base and most weren't very smooth and it was rainy season and in places you couldn't go through. I was used to county roads in Smith Co being oil top or asphalt. I couldn't imagine going to town everyday driving on them. I was fortunate to find my place on a FM paved road. The only paved County roads in Navarro Co is over around the lake were the rich people live. Tomorrow I'll tell you the story of the battery powered radio.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Social distancing was a way of life, if you were a homesteader living on the Nebraska prairie in 1888.
If you look carefully, you can see the original dugout house to the left of the windmill. The house in the background was made of sod.
1888 homested text.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

There is an original sod house museum inside a steel building close to us here.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Mentioning sod houses I have two plows that I'm told are sod plows. Made to turn the sod to make the houses. There not like a regular turning plow they have a long flat cutting service don't plow very deep. It would lay over sod one of them about 20 inches the other maybe 16 inches wide.I've seen modern day one do that at a sod farm. Any of you up in the sod house area seen such?
windybob

Post by windybob »

I might have seen them abandoned out in the fields, those old plows and such are all over. Wouldn't know one of those types if I saw it though.