How's the Virus affecting folks?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Coulteryan

Re: How's the Virus affecting folks?

Post by Coulteryan »

The current estimate by experts is that May 6th is the day we run out of ICU hospital beds.

After that date, doctors here will be forced to make life and death decisions about who gets care and who doesn't. This is currently the case in Italy.

The only way to avoid this is to avoid getting the virus. Everyone is at risk, no one has any immunity. The number of cases doubles every six day. The recommendation is to stay 6' away from everyone.
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

In the state where I live we have had ONE confirmed case of the virus. Local schools are closed, events are being cancelled, and the colleges and universities are not only closing, they are sending students home. Big huge over reaction. This is like shutting down the roads/highways because of one drunk driver.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Our cases in Michigan have been increasing since first being detected early last week ... up to 50 now, 20 added yesterday. Schools are closed this week (and weeks to come). All Universities are locked down or online. Most all gatherings curtailed. And I hear the Gov just ordered that all bars and restaurants are closed ... unless takeout. Many workplaces are work from home, where possible.

It may seem like overkill (and in some places I do think they pulled the trigger too quick). But, there are not many people being tested and I believe many more people are carrying the bug than we realize.
Thanks,
Ed
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

Sorry, let me try that again....

Let's do some quick math to see if it's really like closing all roads due to one drunk driver.

Here are the facts: every confirmed case infects two others, and the number doubles every six days.
1 case on mar 16
2 cases mar 22
4 cases mar 28
8 on apr 3
16 on apr 9
32 on apr 15
64 on apr 21
128 on apr 27
256 on apr may 3
512 on may 9
1024 on may 15
2048 on may 21
4096 on may 27
8192 on jun 2
16,384 on jun 10
32,768 on jun 16, and on and on...Georgia only has 22000 hospital beds! What then? This is the current state of affairs in Italy......next step is choosing who gets care and who dies.
sandhillmills

Post by sandhillmills »

The number of cases in Colorado are doubling every 24 hours according to Denver TV stations. This could be a real mess for our country. The first thing that has to happen is that people need to actually admit that this is an epidemic.
Coulteryan

Post by Coulteryan »

Update....Atlanta mayor declares state of emergency, and GA has 99 confirmed cases, not just one. One death so far. That dramatically changes the numbers above and moves the hospital bed saturation point to much sooner.
99 on mar 16
198 on mar 22
396 on mar 28
792 on apr 3
1584 on apr 9
3168 on apr 15
6336 on apr 21
12672 on apr 27
25344 on may 3......about the same time nationwide hospital ICU beds are predicted to reach capacity.

Granted, not all cases will need ICU, but so far 20% do, and GA has 22000 total beds, not ICU beds. Not picking on GA, we're all in the same boat, but we all need to heed the warnings and not just think it's all hype.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I agree. I find it scary because it is such a great unknown. I think your onto something Windy about one more brick in the wall. Unless they can't continue to run computers and direct deposit my checks into my account I will have some money, but I wonder about the restaurant workers who no longer have a job. How will they make it? From all I read and hear on TV we are in front of a high speed freight train with no engineer.
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

I will be back later. I am going into the backyard and dig a couple of large holes for me and my wife. Y'all have convinced me to get prepared.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Well, they are pushing events back even farther now, I heard July mentioned now for something here, I am not packing trailer bearings until the week before the windmill fair!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Bryon, I can see your point about tv, papers, and media over reacting. They do it all the time. In my case, personally , I'm sick of hearing about it. It is an unknown. They have not had enough time to study it. A vaccine is on the way, but they don't know enough to stay on top of it. It seems all concerned can slow it down, i doubt it can be stopped. Coming soon to a town near you, as they say. The symptoms are really tough on a persons respiratory system. Mine has been already compromised by a virus I caught Christmas of 2018. took 50% of my lung power away. So I am concerned if I happen to catch it. MAybe it will just blow over, or die out. Maybe a vaccine will come out soon. It's a crap shoot. We are all living in remarkable history. Oh, I'm not digging a hole yet.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.