How's the Virus affecting folks?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

How's the Virus affecting folks?

Post by Wayne »

I was wondering how things are in the different parts of the country with the virus. Our city government has closed down here in Corsicana and the schools may be closed also. So far no case's here all north of us. Don't know about Churches. I was in Walmart yesterday I'm not sure why people are buying so much bottled water. Are they thinking of going into the woods?
sandhillmills

Re: How's the Virus affecting folks?

Post by sandhillmills »

I just talked to my daughter in Denver. My grandsons school was cancelled on Wednesday. She received an email from school last evening and one student and one teacher have already tested positive. With the amount of peoples paths that crisscross in Denver -DIA, military, skiing,sports,and colleges, I think this will evolve into a huge epidemic. I don't think they are telling us how big this will be. Something tells me that the Chinese are getting even. Ron
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

All the Walmarts are out of TP and running low on water here in SW Kansas but in the upper Texas Panhandle the stores are having buy 3 get one free on toilet paper but get south to Amarillo I hear they are out again? My windmill still works and I got corn cobs so I am just going to watch all this from a safe distance. I don't know how real this is but if I had a health problem I would be careful. I keep hearing crazy talk of canceling things moths from now so I just hope we have the Windmill Fair!
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I didn't go to Church today because last week was spring break here. Lots of people traveling . You don't know were they been who they might have been in contact with. My daughter went to Camden SC she said it was ground zero for the virus. Ten cases so far, school closed until April 1. Got groceries enough for two weeks and toilet paper for 2 months now to find me something to do for 2 weeks around here. Rainy so working on my place isn't doable.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Live behind the redwood curtain / changes I noted in the last couple of weeks.
1. The smell of Clorox has now taken the place of sexy perfumes.
2. The homeless guy, sorry, I should say the “unhoused” or “shelter challenged” gentleman laying in front of the Stop-N-Rob convenience store no longer wants to sell you pot as you pass by. He peers out of his sleeping bag and offers a bottle of his personal “super disinfectant” for $20. Hint for out of state friends, he refills his yellow colored disinfectant himself and it smells a lot like the sleeping bag and cardboard box he lives in.
3. “Have you been tested?” is now a politically correct question to ask before a date.
4. The well-to-do ladies / designer spandex wearing soccer moms boast loudly about only using organic sanitizer.
5. Humboldt Honey Gals (hippie chicks) have moved their “Bobby McGee” dirty red bandana over the nose and mouth instead of using it as flea infested headscarf.
6. The “Can you hear me in 60’s where you are living?” pot head old men are selling their collections of Rolling Stone and Mother Earth News magazines on Craig’s list as bio-degradable toilet paper.
7. When you overhear the common California phrase, “I’m not touching that,” it doesn’t bring a sexual thought to mind.
8. The wine county wealthy no longer steer a conversation so they can tell you about their Paris vacation.
9. If your wife wants anything rubbed before she goes to sleep, it’s ok to put on your baseball mitt before you touch her.
10. No one has hugged me in weeks and I’m so OK with that.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I don’t understand all the talk about long lines at the stores.
Here is what I do to avoid standing in lines:
1. Get in line without making eye contact and pull out your handkerchief and fake a coughing fit.
2. Hold your handkerchief up to the light and exam it carefully as you roll it into a ball and say, “Grandpa always said to have two snot rags--one for blowing and one for showing, but with this cough I’m having a hard time keeping one dry.” Then with a pause added for drama say, “Guess I will just need to airdry my blow rag.”
3. Next, dig around in your jacket pocket and pull out your old boy scout neckerchief that you have been using to wipe the dipstick when you check the oil on your Ford F-150, and pop it into the air a few times. Then make a noise like a cat with a hair ball that’s ready to come up.
4. If there is anyone in line when you get done waving that old rag over your head like John Wayne trying to stop a stampede, hit them with the next round.
5. Pull a very, very clean, small tablecloth size bandana out of your pocket. (Note it must be very clean as this causes them to have a sense of relief.) Just start to unfold it and stop unfolding it, and as careful as a brain surgeon performing a brilliant surgical procedure, fold it back to its original shape and say very quietly, “Nope, got to save this for the T.P. shortage.” And put it back in your pocket.
6. Of course, there is always the battle hardened California little old lady who is not giving up her place in the line. She has stood in line with the foul smelling, tuberculous sounding bums for years. For her, hit at the core of her foundation. Just murmur, I’ll never get on a cruise ship again.”

K Moore
PS: Best of all, I’m no longer required to kiss the wife, and our bedtime “goodnight handshake” is now down to a kick in the shin.
MAS

Post by MAS »

No affect.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

No toilet paper anywhere in town. Grocery store shelves are nearly bare. Texas Tech will shut down after Spring Break and all classes will be taught over the internet. TT is also asking for donations to buy $2000.00 tickets to bring students back from Europe. The hospitals have canceled all appointments that are not emergency related.My daughter went to Walmart to buy me groceries and did not get everything on my list.Looks like some one somewhere yelled "air Raid'.
Good note ! She paid less than $2.00 a gallon for gasoline.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
windybob

Post by windybob »

Kevin, I admire your intellect and sense of humor, as always. With me, Biblical end-of-days pestolence comes to mind. That, along with information overloads, as well as many other signs point me in a direction of final salvation. however many church goers can take solace in the idea that churches are only a gathering place, so as they are all closing down, no need to worry, a 'church' can be anywhere. For many years, I have been intrigued by prophecy of end-days scenarios. just one more brick in the wall for me.

As for the immediate doomsday tripe-fest daily, if it comes through here and attacks me, I'm most likely done.Last year I caught some kind of virus, (not the flu) and it seriously compromised my lung power. Never did regain most of it. However, as they say, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger", so we will see. I do know, that the last rattle snake that bit me, died on the spot.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JEG

Post by JEG »

All schools in Washington are closed till April 24 and many businesses are closed and working from home if possible even in counties not yet affected.There are many confirmed cases and unfortunate deaths in our state at this time so anything we can do to stop the spread will be done. My job has been affected a little now and can be affected even more at any time because it is connected to the commercial airline business. In some places this is serious! Please pray for the families who have lost loved ones and people who have contacted the the virus. We are AMERICANS let’s help and support one another. GOD BLESS AMERICA!