How's the Virus affecting folks?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

Re: How's the Virus affecting folks?

Post by Wayne »

I'll post some pictures. I don't know were the rest of you are in this horror story but as for me I'm getting tired of talking to this stupid old man that lives here. He's hard of hearing and won't wear his hearing aids so you have to repeat everything. I had a visitor Tuesday he was driving by and saw my windmills. Since I hadn't talked face to face with anybody in 3 weeks I let him in and we had a good 2 hr visit. He never coughed once so I think I was save. Our Genealogical Society has been publishing info about the 1918 flu epidemic. 40 to 50 million died world wide and 675,000 here in the US. Same kind of story closed schools, Churches, and businesses until the new cases slowed down. There predicting 100,000-240,000 deaths and I'm thinking 70to 80 % of those will be over 60 years of age. Something I read and didn't know the US has 600,000 cancer deaths a year.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Wayne
In relative numbers, covid 19 would have to have about 2 million fatalities to be as bad as the 1918 flu. With a US population of over 325 M the odds are not that great unless you are one...The silent carriers are the dangerous ones and CDC has very limited data on this.

I just did a 1200 mile 3 state week long work trip. Bought all food before and took my own water. No motels, restaurants or even coffee from a gas station. It wasnt that bad, worst was the Nebraskans midwest hospitality. They insist on shaking hands still. Since I am considered essential, I will be crossing state lines until when/if they close them

Ron Stauffer
Aermotor Fan

Post by Aermotor Fan »

The virus affected my Dad who had a guy at work died from it.
He was from Guam went to visit his family, Flew to Japan and by the time he
got back to Milwaukee he was very ill. He died only 4 days back.
I know this serious,I hope everyone stays safe.

Adam
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

It is serious and I'm worried that the Politicians are going to open things back up to soon and cause another spike but at the same time my lively hood hasn't been taken away. So it's a hard call to make.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

It is a tough call, and I wish people (especially politicians) would leave politics out of this. I consider myself a middle of the road republican ... that being said I wish Dip**** Donald would just keep his mouth (and tweets) shut.

I actually don't care for our Dem Governor, but I tell you what, I personally think she has done a pretty decent job at trying to stop/slow the spread of this virus from the SE corner of Michigan (which has literally been overwhelmed). If that happens in our rural counties ... watch out (and it won't take much). And these freaking idots that you all seen protesting on the news last night ... unreal. They were even blocking the entrance to one of the hospitals.
Last edited by PaulV on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to remove banned word. PaulV
Thanks,
Ed
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

The thing that worries me is the long term affect of the shut down, I understand why we have to have it but not sure if we are going to find the right balance between saving lives and jobs. I remember farm country back in the 1980s, little towns of a couple hundred people, foreclosures right and left along with all the suicides that resulted from loosing the farm, the business the marriage over money.

My state has less than 100 deaths, how many people are going to take their own lives in the next 5 years over losses from the shut down? Will it be 10 times this number? I just don't like hearing how some son or daughter finds their father hanging in the stock trailer. I have heard many of them and it makes me sick.
Aermotor Fan

Post by Aermotor Fan »

Aaron,
Here in Wisconsin A lot of farmers are having a hard making it
day to day. I have heard a few farmers taking their life, which makes
things worse for other farmers.
Adam
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wayne wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:18 am It is serious and I'm worried that the Politicians are going to open things back up to soon and cause another spike but at the same time my lively hood hasn't been taken away. So it's a hard call to make.
Heck I'm just worried about the politicians period. Most of the time all they're good for is to throw up road blocks in front of me. Then it takes another 6 months to learn a way around them.

The threat of this germ will not go away until a vaccine. Period. End of story.

Oh..I'm not holding my breath for a wad of money put in my account. If You get it, good for you. You remember what the Bible says, "What the government giveth, the government taketh away" :lol:
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

One thing is for certian, we will be paying for this for years to come.

This reopening really needs to be county by county ... too many differences between different areas of a state.
Thanks,
Ed
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've started ordering a meal once a week from a local Italian Restaurant in Corsicana. I'm sure my $20 meal once a week isn't going to keep them in business but all I can do. Yes I'm thinking like Windy unless everybody in a restaurant has been vaccinated it would only take one sick person to infect everyone in the place. I know for sure we will still be talking about the National Debt and still looking at the fall out from this when I'm pushing up daisies. Hopefully there won't be anymore talk about tax cuts for the wealthy.