Sod Plows

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

Sod Plows

Post by Wayne »

I said
IMG_20200406_161111320.jpg
I'd post pictures of my two sod plows. So here they are no names anywhere on them I hope to paint them someday put new handles in them awhile back.
IMG_20200406_161046371.jpg
IMG_20200406_160832975.jpg
IMG_20200406_160853491_BURST003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Re: Sod Plows

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Yip, I got several, one stamped P&O, people will argue with you all day they are potato diggers, LOL Someday I would like to make a little sod house like my Great Grandfather's and put it next to a windmill, all I can remember was the ruins of one corner as a child but its all melted away now.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Its funny when I was growing up in the 60's and 70's my folks had a fuel business and we also hauled livestock so I was out on a lot of farms and you would see a lot of those sod plows laying in the trees and fence lines. As the old timers left the farm and farms got sold and cleaned up a lot of those got scrapped. Wife has a couple regular one bottom horse drawn plows in her flower gardens but no sod plows. Haven't seen one on a farm sale in years. Thanks for posting.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Hey Rust Buzzard I'd trade you one of mine for the P&O. P&O was bought by IHC so we IHC collectors like P&O stuff. I have a P&O Gang plow with disk rather than the regular turning bottoms. Making that sod house sounds like a fun project. You could have a house raising like they have a barn raising.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Sorry Wayne, that P&O sod plow has some interesting windmill heritage, it came from one of Kansas' windmill designers farms. I collect IH stuff too, mostly horse era. This was big broom corn country so you see P&O lister planters often, I would love to see a pic of your gang plow.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Ok I'll take one today. If this virus ever goes away. I have an IHC Check row corn planter and 2 row IHC cultavator in Illinois to go get. The corn planter has a roll of check wire and the stakes for the end of the field to hold the wire. Mostly horse drawn stuff is what I've got. I did buy an IHC terrace plow that is pulled by a tractor. The plow is a one bottom Little Genius sent to a place in Dallas and they put the auger and gear box on it to make a terrace.I'm waiting for Dan to send me some recast parts for my 5 disk IHC grain drill so I can finish it.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

You know. its odd being here in wheat country, most of the horse drawn era stuff was IH, especially grain binders but you rarely ever saw an IH drill of any size. Van Brundt and pre Oliver, Superior were the kings. Not many check row planters around as most were lister mounted. The only checkrow I have is a Deere and Mansurd #9, the same as the later JD #99 and 999s basically, I need to get it fixed up because having the red JD stuff messes with people, LOL
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yes my 5 disc Van Brundt grain drill is red, yellow and green but couldn't bring my self to use John Deere green so used Hunter Green. I have a McCormick-Deering 8ft horse drawn grain drill. I know a guy up at Meadow South Dakota. First of all he has 100 running tractors and has a IHC header/binder. I have seen a header and never knew there was a header/binder but there is a picture of one in the 150 years of IHC. I love to go see his stuff.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

IMG_20200412_091802749.jpg
IMG_20200412_092211006.jpg
With all this down time at home been cleaning out my storage building of stuff moved from the previous place trying to make since of it all. In Longview Tx there was a plow manufacture, Kelly Plow co. My X wifes Grand Paw had two Kelly plows and I ended up with them This one with the wooden beam and one with a steel beam both built before 1911. They also came with the single trees, one set of haines and pull chains. In both of the pull chains are swivels one of them is in the picture with US in it. Just wondering if that could have been Army Surplus of the day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.