A Little windmill Triva.

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

A Little windmill Triva.

Post by Wayne »

While spending my day at the Library yesterday I pulled out a box of Oklahoma Genealogical Society News Letters from the 1950's. A couple of interesting things; Windy This is from your neck of the woods Kingfisher County. From the Kingfisher Reformer April 27 1899 there was an ad you could buy Buggies for $45, a wagon for
$60 or a Challenge Windmill with Tower for $35. I bet it was a Dandy.
Then I found a woman's diary, she started April 1883 as they were leaving to move from Wise County Texas to the Washington Territory. When they got to Kansas they camped on Pawnee Creek it is North of Dodge City maybe in Finney Co. She writes: We camped close to a fine large wind pump. It was standing out here on the prairie rattling away all alone, not a house anywhere near, plenty of good cold water pump out all the time. She adds: There has been a cattle ranch at sometime, good nice watering troughs made of lumber and the prettiest little salt roughs made of rock. They didn't go all the way to Washington they stopped at Pendleton Oregon. She tells about them hiring out for the wheat harvest. Neat stuff for some for us.
windybob

Re: A Little windmill Triva.

Post by windybob »

Thanks Wayne. Only a very few Challenge mills around here, I think the sales force from Dempster, Monitor, and Aermotor ran them out of the territory before they could make many sales.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I forgot on other interesting item from the Kingfisher Reformer. It seems a John Riggs had got a patent on a fence post that would neither burn or rot, and you could drive nails into it to hang boards or wire. What kind of material could he have had in 1899 that wouldn't burn or rot and drive nails into?
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Wayne,
Here you go!

Don't know how to get a .pdf to open automatically on the forum, but you can download it.

2.pdf
1.pdf

BTW, I still plan to get over your way for a visit whenever things get back to some semblance of normalcy.

Regards,
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well that's interesting!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Wayne,
Is Pawnee Creek anywhere near Pawnee Rock southwest of Greatbend Kansas? There is a large outcropping mound that is a park now. I was told indians and settlers both used this area to look across the plains.

Gregg
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks Jim. Answered my question. Knew somebody would. More useless info in my brain but I love it.
Gregg, Pawnee creek is Southeast of Scott City in far west Kansas, Southwest of Ness City. She mentions when they left that camp site with the windmill they passed through Scott City. The other thing I found interesting was when they got to Denver they took apart there wagons, and loaded everything in railroad box cars and road to Shoshonie Idaho the end of the line. Cost $46 per wagon. Put them back together and continued the journey.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Wayne Very interesting. Thanks for posting.