Rods for welding cast iron

......when you need to get in the weeds.
JLM

Re: Rods for welding cast iron

Post by JLM »

Thanks for all the input keep it coming in. Wayne I've tried to locate some of the magna 770 but it is not easy to find I will keep looking.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Were you able to get the e-mail or number off the document I posted? That's how I got mine I called them. They are nice people and will sell it to you by the rod or by the Lb I think it was. You can order as little as a 1/4 lb. So you don't have to order a big amount to give it a try.
JLM

Post by JLM »

Wayne I called the distributor today 3/32 770 magna rods are $5.14 each or $190.00 per pound.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I don't remember how many I bought. Getting ready to use one on my Woodmanse Steel. Things came loose during a wind storm and now I've got a bent vane, bent blades, and it broke off the arm that the pull out chain runs through.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

3/32 770 magna rods are $5.14 each or $190.00 per pound
YIKES!

I vaguely remember looking at the numbers 6 or 7 years ago and making the decision to buy Ni99 in 5# lots. We go through that much in about a year fixing tail pin holes. Fixing tail pin holes is the greatest drawback to rebuilding Chicago Aermotors in both time and expense.

Dakota does hub inserts easier onsite. They have a machine and jig set up to to bore out and thread for the insert. It does require removal of the shaft to chuck it tho. They dont time the insert as they rely on their "anytime" spokes to cover this.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:38 am
3/32 770 magna rods are $5.14 each or $190.00 per pound
YIKES!

I vaguely remember looking at the numbers 6 or 7 years ago and making the decision to buy Ni99 in 5# lots. We go through that much in about a year fixing tail pin holes. Fixing tail pin holes is the greatest drawback to rebuilding Chicago Aermotors in both time and expense.

Dakota does hub inserts easier onsite. They have a machine and jig set up to to bore out and thread for the insert. It does require removal of the shaft to chuck it tho. They dont time the insert as they rely on their "anytime" spokes to cover this.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Ron, great info. Any wisdom you could share on the best way to weld up tail pin holes would be appreciated? I find it to be very complicated at times. Thank you sir.

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sometimes I put in a small curved steel insert in the wallowed area, and tack it on the top, and underneath. Most times I put in a good tailpin, and weld by the top so the bead runs down into the area without sticking to the pin, then do the same underneath. I always use a full size tailpin, as a used one will render the hole too small for a good one after welding. It ain't perfect, but will last a long time. NI99 is really rough to drill, so be careful.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:05 pm Sometimes I put in a small curved steel insert in the wallowed area, and tack it on the top, and underneath. Most times I put in a good tailpin, and weld by the top so the bead runs down into the area without sticking to the pin, then do the same underneath. I always use a full size tailpin, as a used one will render the hole too small for a good one after welding. It ain't perfect, but will last a long time. NI99 is really rough to drill, so be careful.
Thank you sir
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
JLM

Post by JLM »

Windys tailpin trick is what we always did that way you didn't have to grind so much and you can gauge it at the same time.You can also cut up the old tailpin to fill in the holes.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

JLM wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:20 pm Wayne I called the distributor today 3/32 770 magna rods are $5.14 each or $190.00 per pound.
Its pricey but its easy to use and preheat isn't as important, I used to make a box with loose firebrick and put a weed burner against the casting to warm it all up but while its still a good idea with the pricey stuff, I don't seem to have issues without it, its really handy as it makes a nicer bead in places its hard to machine.