A-402 tail folding when turning left to right

......when you need to get in the weeds.
61hawk

A-402 tail folding when turning left to right

Post by 61hawk »

I'm guessing my A-402 is needing some lubrication on the mast pipe. Recently when the mill needs to rotate to the right, the tail is folding in like when you lock it down. I have a grease zerk in the side of the head that slips over the column, that I think you could probably squirt an entire tube of grease into. I'm using a thrust bearing sandwiched between two thin washers between the mast pipe and the bottom of the head rather than split washers. Up until just recently you could rotate the entire mill with just a couple fingers. I haven't been up there in about two months with almost every day in the mid-90's The thrust bearing should be okay, I want to say it was rated for something like 3000 pounds and 8000 rpm. I replaced the spring when I first noticed it.

---------------------------------------------------------
Aermotor A402RA, Aermotor X602, Aermotor A702
61hawk

Re: A-402 tail folding when turning left to right

Post by 61hawk »

So, no suggestions???
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Time to get up there and look things over. If you're letting it spin frequently, then it's time to lube things up.

You didn't mention if the mill if frozen, so I assume it does rotate in strong winds. Your friction points are at the turntable washer/bearing and side load on the mast pipe.
PaulV
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Let me know what you find when up there. I have a 1903 that is on a low tower in a corner of my yard mostly surrounded by trees (so it gets a bit of inconsistent wind).

When I put it up I was debating on what to use as a bearing surface. I settled on some HDPE that I had laying around. It is apparently a little too sticky for the inconsistent winds, as the vane isn't always in a downwind position.

I need to pull it and replace the HDPE ... but if your bearings are toast after a few years ... I don't want to go that route.
Thanks,
Ed
61hawk

Post by 61hawk »

Okay I finally got out there to look at it tonight. The mill rotates around the mast pipe just fine, the bearing rolls smoothly. What's strange is the tail moves as the sail turns. When the pump rod is at the top and starts the down stroke, the tail closes slightly then opens back up. I spent some time looking at it and turning the sail but don't see anything binding or what would be causing it to move the tail. What I'm going to try this weekend is to pull the cotter pin in the pump rod and disconnect it so there should be nothing moving through the mast pipe. But the good news is that the mill looks good, just needs to be greased.
61hawk

Post by 61hawk »

Figured out why I was having all the problems I was. The pump rod and the brake pull down rod were rubbing and twisting and binding against each other. Don't know how but after about 4-5 years they decided to twist against each other. I disconnected the pump rod which eliminates one of the grease cups on the top, I'm going to take a 12" bolt and put it where the pump rod was so I can put the grease cup back up and it'll just drop down 2-3 inches inside the mast pipe. The rods were binding which is what was keeping the tail from unfurling when the brake was taken off, and also what was causing whole thing from bouncing at a point where the sail turned.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

I almost wonder if that little disc in the pull out bar (forget the proper names and part #) is binding up? That flat bar with L on top fastens to top of mill & runs down and through that disc. When the mill turns the disc should turn.
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

I remember that when I put mine together, there were issues with the same thing. I installed a partial pump rod like you did. Altho mine is not outside and does not actually spin, things just didn't fit right and seemed way too close there.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
61hawk

Post by 61hawk »

Mister Ed wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:46 pm I almost wonder if that little disc in the pull out bar (forget the proper names and part #) is binding up? That flat bar with L on top fastens to top of mill & runs down and through that disc. When the mill turns the disc should turn.
That would be my guess, I didn't spend a lot of time looking at it, I was more concerned about figuring out how to get a vice grip in there to unscrew the pump rod. To do this correctly I could probably grease that disc around the edges and it'd be running fine again. But I think I'm going to just put in a short pump rod in there to keep the look of the mill correct.
61hawk

Post by 61hawk »

windybob wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:28 am I remember that when I put mine together, there were issues with the same thing. I installed a partial pump rod like you did. Altho mine is not outside and does not actually spin, things just didn't fit right and seemed way too close there.
I think it would work correctly if one remembered to lube the disc so it could rotate around with the mill. But for a display piece I think the short pump rod is the way to go. There is a lot of wear on the pump rod from rubbing on the furling rod and also through all the guides it goes through. I'm guessing on a working mill you'd have to replace the pump rod every few years. The people who have my mill up in their yard said the only thing they'll miss is the squealing noise when the mill is spinning. But there's enough clanging and banging noise to make up for it.

One piece of good news is that grease in the pump rod oil cup worked great, the only thing worn was the red paint. My mill was painted with POR-15 prior to painting and there wasn't even any wear on the POR-15 on the inside.