Monitor 1 1/4 HP Hit & Miss and Pump Jack

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Gregg

Monitor 1 1/4 HP Hit & Miss and Pump Jack

Post by Gregg »

Bought this Monitor VJ "1 1/4 hp" Engine/Pump Jack yesterday. Someone started to rebuild it. Has new babbitt bearings, cylinder had been honed, valves look like they have been re-worked. But is all in pieces, does need piston rings. Does anyone have information on it? Parts breakout, manual etc. Not 100% sure if I have all parts or not. If you are not familiar with them you can go to "you tube" and see what it is suppose to look like. The well pump attaches to the pump jack which is on the front of the engine. The crank plate on pump jack looks like the same one used on a Monitor Model "L". Kind of a neat little engine.
Gregg
Monitor VJ Engine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: Monitor 1 1/4 HP Hit & Miss and Pump Jack

Post by Wayne »

You can get rings from Starbolt Engine supplies. 301-874-2821. Good people I order from them all the time.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

A PS about your engine. Do you know about smokstack.com? A site that has forums about gas engines. If you haven't been there you probably can find a forum with info since the Monitor pumping engine where real popular. Lots of them out there. I checked two different sources and could find no books. For many years I thought all they made was the small ones 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 then went to an auction and he and had a 7 and a 9 Hp. I have an old windmill picture that has a big Monitor in it. Good Luck
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Gregg you can also check with Flywheel supply. On the rings not always a good ideal to order rings for a specfic engine. The engine could have had repairs in the past and were replaced with wider or slightly oversize rings. Starbolt is an excellant source as suggested by Wayne. I have also used Dave Reed at Otto Ring, he has done several pistons for me, he can clean up the ring lands and provide a ring and a spacer to match. The ring spacer allows the rings to have the correct clearance. Important in these old engines. If the rings have too much clearance they will roll slightly in use and almost never seat. I think Ron gave you my number, feel free to call if you have questions,Jeff
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Thanks Wayne & Jeff for the info. Yesterday being the shortest day of the year, I just ran out of time to respond. Wayne, I have seen Smokstack before and will check further. Jeff I will probably give you a call after Christmas to ask a few questions. If I read your response correctly about Otto Ring, you send your piston to them to get rings fitted?

Thanks
Gregg