My new "tower-brace-rod-straightener"

......when you need to get in the weeds.
hwy8

My new "tower-brace-rod-straightener"

Post by hwy8 »

With all of my new bent tower parts, I thought I'd start straightening. I looked through my drawers of "I'LL NEED THAT ONE DAY" parts and came up with some garage door cable pulleys, threaded rod, strut channel, a couple of springs, and some angle iron. Instead of anything fancy, I use the vise as a part of the machine. When I want to put a bent-up rod in, I loosen the jaws on the vise and the springs open up the wheel-way. Once the rod is in place, I tighten the jaws as much as I need and the springs compress. As the rod gets straighter, I tighten the vise and the wheels tighten against the rod more.

I wasn't sure how far apart to put the wheels so I can loosen the pulley bolts/axles and slide the channel "nuts" to where I want them. The pieces of angle along the edge sit on top of the vise jaws and once I tighten the jaws up to adjust the wheel spacing, the whole thing really stays in place well. I use a spud wrench to go through the eye of the brace and just push and pull the rod through 8 or 10 times. While I do that, I twist/turn the rod and it rolls out the high spots.

It works great and cost about $15 in material....I'll monkey around a bit with the wheel locations but it's pretty close now. The ball bearings should last through a bunch of projects.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spring hill bill

Re: My new "tower-brace-rod-straightener"

Post by spring hill bill »

That is a great looking tool, and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Thanks for sharing.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes, thanks!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Great idea, I love the way you solved a common problem with vintage tower braces. I wish you would make me one and I would be happy to pay you and shipping. Thanks, great pics

Now, if someone could come up with a better way of straightening bent tower angle legs also.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Here's one of the ways I straighten bent tower legs/braces/angle iron. If the angle is really twisted up, I use a heavy (1/2" x 6" x 6') piece of angle for my anvil. My sledge hammer sometimes helps but some clamps and big monkey/crescent wrenches do a lot too. When I get the piece all headed in one direction, I put it into the "V" in my press and lay a long piece of schedule 80 pipe into the piece I'm trying to straighten. I press down against that pipe and generally, the bent angle wants to correct itself. After that, I use the orange "V" press as you see it. The legs of my hydraulic press are open so I can put 20' pieces through it just fine. If I want to flatten bulges, etc., I use shims and with a little time, it works pretty well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Seven years ago I posted on the old forum of the setup I use. It is portable and fast and can be used in the field. I couldnt locate pics of the jig but had pics of the results.

Before and after of a 14' mill tower that was 3 x 3/16 angle. Took about 2 hours.

Before

004.JPG

003.JPG

After
The 14' tower is on the far left of pic. The corner angles in the center are for a 12' done the same day, 3 x 1/8. 2.25" x 1/8 for 8' mills is easy to straighten with the 2 24 method.

002.JPG

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

What's this? "the 2 24 method" Whatever it is, you did a great job!
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

20190218_175046.jpg
Thank you hwy8
I was just looking at my Butler tower this evening and thinking what am I going to do with those brace rods. That is brilliant I can build one of those. I've been trying to tap them straight on the anvil and it never comes out straight. The angles in the press is a great idea too and (a little off topic) I have the same press i just restored.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Mike,

Check out Youtube for vids on homemade automotive gas-line straighteners. There are a lot of good ideas.

Nice restoration on your press! Did you rebuild the hydraulics? Where can I buy parts to rebuild mine?

Burt
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

All I did was wind in some new rope packing for the ram after I dropped the ram on my foot and had to go to the hospital. (Not recommended) I havent put any oil in it yet. Its in the shed and winter came.