Gearbox won’t turn on mast

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Bargfrede

Gearbox won’t turn on mast

Post by Bargfrede »

I have a 10ft aermotor windmill that I purchased. Right now I have it on the tower and the tower is laying down. The fan will spin but the gearbox will not spin on the mast. It appears to be froze up. I have tried penetrating oil but it is not working. Any ideas on how to get this freed up? I am going to restore it before I erect it.
Thanks
windybob

Re: Gearbox won’t turn on mast

Post by windybob »

Take the nuts and bolts out of the top part of the tower, and remove everything you can on the outside of the head. Take the head off the tower with the mastpipe in it. Once you get it into the shop, start soaking from the top and bottom. Don't forget to take out the nut and washer and pumprod from the mastpipe. You will get it eventually but will NOT be quick. soak soak soak, and then soak some more. Try to block the mastpipe and turn the head, or vice versa. Once you start getting movement, keep it up. Do not hit or beat on anything. I have had luck with many froze-up mastpipes. It just takes time. Go to the local old-folks home, and see if they can sell some extra patience. Old folks have a lot, maybe they will sell you some. You will need it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Bargfrede

Post by Bargfrede »

Thanks for the advise. I have gotten the head off. What type of penetrating oil do you soak it in?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

"Go to the local old-folks home, and see if they can sell some extra patience"
That's funny! :D
windybob

Post by windybob »

Use something thin. I soak from the top down. IF...you can get it to move enough, and the mastpipe can start coming out, then turn it over, and soak from the bottom up. Most of the time,I lay the head down, and take a 36 pipe wrench and try to turn the mastpipe.
I really don't know of any fancy tricks. I don't think there are any. This is a really tough situation. Just take your time, and try to get all the oil you can down there.

Thanks Kevin. Lol
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Bargfrede Welcome to the forum. I have had pretty good luck with liquid wrench and you can get it at Walmart.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

I had to place the gearbox and mast pipe in my 20 ton hydraulic press and it came right out(I first removed the loop from the gear case or it would be in the way of the press).

On another gearbox, I used a small bottle jack in between the loop and top of mast pipe and pressed the mast pipe out. I placed a small board at top of the jack under the loop to protect it(just be careful that you don't break the casting where the loop goes into too). Once it starts moving, I used a socket on top of the mast pipe to press down through the gear case. Use a lot of lub before pressing out.

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
windybob

Post by windybob »

Which brings up another point. Do NOT mushroom the top of the mastpipe. Might be a good idea to grind the sides off the nut, and make it the diameter of the mastpipe itself. if you screw it in all the way, it will protect the threads and pipe from mushrooming. Much easier to get a new nut than to get the threaded area correct again.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

For penetrating oil (and a bunch of uses), I use "Ed's Red" (google it):
1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF (I think the newer synthetic stuff doesn't like acetone)
1 part Kerosene
1 part mineral spirits
1 part acetone

Sometimes I leave the acetone out. It can harm plastics (not an issue here) and will evaporate from the mix. But it is quicker at dissolving petroleum gunk than the others.

Pretty economical @ $10 or $13 per gallon, depending on with or without acetone. Sure beats Liquid Wrench @ $28/gallon.
Thanks,
Ed