Old style tripod tower clamps

......when you need to get in the weeds.
hwy8

Old style tripod tower clamps

Post by hwy8 »

I've never worked on a tripod tower before so even these clamps are new to me....Did I do this correctly? I'm guessing when I say, "It looks like the bump on the casting sits in the tower corner hole and the little ledge on the casting sits on the corner of the tower leg". I also guessed where the bolt heads and nuts go so I figured, "just keep everything out of the way of the furling mechanism".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Old style tripod tower clamps

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Yay, correctly installed. Those corner brackets are used on all 3 post that I have seen. When I referenced them earlier for you as "old style" , that came from their first use on the 4 post towers and was later replaced with the current 4 post tower clamp.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
hwy8

Re: Old style tripod tower clamps

Post by hwy8 »

All of that "hardware" is what threw me. Compared to just the "bent wires" of the four post, these seemed complicated. The little bumps and ledges of the castings are subtle but once I caught on, it went ok. The clamps were missing when I bought the tower so when Ebay-mail came, they did look "old-fashioned" to me. As I tightened them up, it was remarkable how well they seated, and they REALLY tightened up the tower top! It seemed like the dovetails got steered into place and really locked together.