Replace mast pipe?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
corbox1

Replace mast pipe?

Post by corbox1 »

I have a 3 leg tower that has a A602 Aermotor installed. The 602 main shaft broke so I purchased a 702 replacement. It came with a new mast pipe. Is there any reason to replace a mast pipe when replacing with a new mill? Do they wear? Just checking as it would be a lot easier to just pop the new mill on the existing mast pipe.
windybob

Re: Replace mast pipe?

Post by windybob »

Welcome!

Wait a minute here.......The short answer is yes, but the better answer is ....a 702 and a 602 take different mainshafts. It came with a new mastpipe?? What's up with that? That's like filling up with gas and getting a free tire rotation. Lol
Depends on the wear of the existing mastpipe. The last year the 602 was made was 1933 so if it's been up all this time, the windward side may be worn. Wouldn't hurt to change it, but would need to see a picture. If the tower or (mastpipe) is on the ground, probably change it. Up in the air, not so sure yet.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
corbox1

Post by corbox1 »

Great. Thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure of the condition of the old one yet. Still figuring a way to lift the old 602 off. Besides working in the air, is the mast pipe change job difficult on a metal 3 leg tower? I bought a few extra tower clamps in case I run into problems getting the existing ones off. Anything I should watch out for?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh my yes, there are lots of things to watch out for. Have you worked in the air before? Do you have the equipment to lift the head off? Any utility wires nearby? Can you let the tower and all down?

You need to change the mastpipe on the ground. I don't know anyone that has the onions to break one loose in the air.

Do you know the steps involved in taking something down safely? Can you post pictures? Does the head itself rotate on the mastpipe freely?
corbox1

Post by corbox1 »

I have a boom lift, but never really worked in the air before. No wires, wide open in my yard. Letting the tower down would be a pain. I contacted a local crane service and they said 500 bucks for the first 3 hours. That should be plenty to pluck the old head off and install the new one fairly quickly....if I can get away without changing the mast pipe. I do not have the equipment to lift the old head off.
At first I was going to rent a big 60' JLG lift and use it to hoist the new mill but have decided against that. Especially since the crane is relatively cheap.
I have the new 702 all put together (on the ground). I will have to install the new furl lever and linkage once in the air.
The old 602 main shaft broke and the sail assembly is not on the ground. All I am left with is a tower, gear motor and tail vane in the air now. It does rotate on the existing mast pipe currently. I cant figure how to post pictures. I click the insert image link and this pops up.Image. I would love to pick your brain more before I attempt this. Can I email or PM some pics somehow?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok I'm understanding a little more now. Especially about the mainshaft. Lol

UNder where you post click on 'full edit & preview'. That will set you up for pictures. Click on attachments.

Then click on 'add files' and it will bring up where you store pictures.( I assume) It does it on my computer, I don't have a smart phone. Tried one, and it didn't make me any smarter, so I gave it up. Then put your curser that shows when you type...under where your typed lines are, and that's where the picture will appear when you click 'add inline'. If you wish to preview it click on "preview". When you post it, click on "submit" to post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Also, the 8 ft 702 will take new fan (wheel) spokes. Your V spokes from the 602 hub won't work.
corbox1

Post by corbox1 »

windmill tower.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
corbox1

Post by corbox1 »

windmill.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh ok. You're done with it! You sure there's no other crane for less?