Dandy Differences

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Wayne

Dandy Differences

Post by Wayne »

Somebody said we needed something to discuss. I'll ask about my Dandy. At the 2018 Trade fair Jimmy
Christensen gave an 8 ft Dandy to the center in honor of Chuck Jones. While looking at it I noticed some differences between it and mine. His had thicker drive gears, his brake only contacted above and below the drive shaft on the hub, mine is a complete circle. Today while taking these picture I noticed the link connecting the arms is different mine is a twisted looking link the other is round rod. I'm thinking the one I have was a very early model, somebody realized we don't need that brake to be a complete circle waist of iron but we do need stronger gears, don't need to cast those links when we can buy round rod and make them. The parts book I have says 1919 and it has the thicker gears with rim and small brake. Also with the Dandy there is no difference between the 8ft and 10ft except blade sections and arms. So what does everyone else think. Doesn't really matter just something to kick around. I'm giving this mill and a tower to our Pioneer Village here in Corsicana. :D
image000001(33).jpg
image000002(2).jpg
image000000(66).jpg
image000000(65).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Dandy Differences

Post by windybob »

It's my understanding that around 1903-1905 the gears incorporated a flange to help them stay lined up better. Don't know about the other stuff. I have worked over 2 Dandys from around the 1893-5 time.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Wayne I've found the same thing.I have two dandys and several parts.both are the improved dandy 1895 and up.I've found different width gears,three different pitman arms one with a wooden bearing.also different furling systems.one is very similar to my bell hub with a furl disc. Also different tail vane hinges.some have a place on top for a side vane and some don't.apparently along the way they improved or cheapend up.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Making them cheaper in some ways, but then improving the gears so they were heaver duty. I think cutting down the size of the brake was one big money saver. I wonder in the beginning did they intend to make one head for 8ft and 10 ft or decide later hey we can put a bigger fan on that head and have a ten ft to sell also and not have to design new castings.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Personally i think that wishbone frame was a poor design.i have a frame that busted in half and another with a crack.i think that's why they connected the frame on the top with that lupe on the irrigater.the original furling system had way more parts and heavier than the 1895 improved model
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

They were learning as they went. After all it was their first metal windmill.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Thanks Wayne for the photos I don't get to see many dandy's in my area. Learning something new is appreciated.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You Bet. My feelings exactly. My head is full of useless information and if you stay close I may give you some of it!.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Wayne on my first dandy i restored the main shaft was bad.i had no idea the front hub was threaded on and me and my brother heated and eventually pressed it off.then realized our mistake.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If I remember, I did the same thing. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.