Fabricating D602 V Spokes

......when you need to get in the weeds.
hwy8

Fabricating D602 V Spokes

Post by hwy8 »

My 12' D602 is getting ready to go up and one of the last things to do is dealing with my uncertainty about the V spokes. This set must have really "rattled around" because the previous owner spent a good amount of time brazing up the wear spots and also brazed a new piece of rod about 6" long into a spoke where maybe it was broken. Even though the repairman has plenty of experience, I'm uneasy about any weak links and I've been looking for good originals and not coming up with anything.

Has anyone fabricated new ones? It looks simple enough, but I've been fooled by that one before! Materials are cheap enough, and it looks like I can bend them into shape with a simple jig on the press, and I can have them hot-dipped locally for not very much money.

Is there any reason I can't use a thread pitch that is a common size (not Aermotor) and then use a nylock nut? I figured I'd thread the rod, then braze on a thick washer to act as a stop, and then send it out to be galvanized.

What do you think?
hwy8

Re: Fabricating D602 V Spokes

Post by hwy8 »

OR, MAYBE THIS...Instead of me making them like I was competing with Aermotor, Chicago IL., I'll make just the "crotch" or the "point" part of the V spoke. I'll cut off the area that is badly worn and weld the new replacement piece into place and keep the rods and the threads and stops in place. Spray cold galvanizing would cover it but I still might get fancy and have them hot-dipped.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Burt

So if you got V spokes that were "married" to that case/hub, there would be corresponding wear in the notch of the hub as well. Hopefully they built up the spokes to spec and the hub notch to spec rather than just building up the V for wear on both?

New 802 spokes and other new aftermarket spokes all have SAE NC threads on the end with only the Aermotor thread at hub end in 702. So purity becomes the deciding factor.

The less than full set that I have in D V spokes appear to be 5/8" rod plus galvanizing. The interesting part came when I measure in the actual V part. There was a difference in OD if taken inline with V or at 90 degrees. !0" V spokes I have here showed a similar difference in OD at the V.

There is no need to tweak the end of the spokes as tightening at assembly will do that. Assemble wheel face down on the ground with new spokes as they go together easier.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

I'll have to take a look at the hub but I don't remember seeing any repairs. It is possible that these V spokes didn't leave the factory with this hub so the wear points won't match. Hopefully, it won't be worn excessively. Although my machines are just "spinners", I let them run 24 hrs. I'm careful when a storm is coming in or when we have higher than normal winds but I am definitely shooting for machinery that is running well. (I'm sure my close-in neighbors feel the same way.)

By the way, my spoke rod OD measures 9/16" including a smooth coat of galvanizing. I'm guessing the thickness of the galvanizing can vary quite a bit. In regard to purity, using standard threads are fine with me.

What do you mean when you describe the difference in OD at 90 degrees? Do you mean that the OD flattens or distorts during the bending process?