Retaining pins for Aermotor

......when you need to get in the weeds.
tom b

Retaining pins for Aermotor

Post by tom b »

I am going through a 6 ft Aermotor X702. Short of making the pin for the rear of the main shaft next to the rear pinion and the pins for the bull gears, what is the best way to find stock that measures .175" in diameter (I think this is the size I need)and not hardened? My supply of 3/16" rod is too big and I am afraid of splitting the cast gear.This is the first 6 footer I have had to replace the pins.I guess I am asking what most people do to replace with new pins. I have used roll pins in the past for a few 8 ft. A702's but prefer to used the original style pins and bend them over. McMaster has drill rod in that dimension but short of annealing, it is too brittle to bend over, Thanks in advance, Tom
windybob

Re: Retaining pins for Aermotor

Post by windybob »

For 6 ft Aermotor mills, I use 5/32" 6011 welding rod, with the flux taken off. It works great for other pins in the head also.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
tom b

Post by tom b »

Thanks Windy, never thought of that and have lots of welding rod already. I solved the problem one hour ago after posting. I cleaned up the holes and re drilled to just under 3/16" Now 3/16 rod works perfectly. In the future I will do the Oklahoma Welding Rod tip! Thanks Bob
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yep. :D
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.