Woodmanse Model 40

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Cluckinchickenranch

Woodmanse Model 40

Post by Cluckinchickenranch »

Hey everyone,

I am helping my elderly father restore an old Woodmanse Model 40 windmill on his ranch. He rebuilt the frame that was about to fall down and now we are working on the head. Whoever had it before filled it with grease so we got that cleaned out but it leaks oil from where the fins connect. I figured some of you might have a lot more knowledge before we start taking this apart and get ourselves in trouble. If any of you would be willing to give us your insight, I would be grateful.

We also have the tail, which as you can see someone shot and it is rusting. I don't want to take away from the vintage feel of it but is there anything to fix that with, without ruining it.

Thank you for your time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Woodmanse Model 40

Post by windybob »

It is an Airmaster Woodmanse windmill. Appears to be a 6 ft model. That means 6 ft across the fan, (wheel) Very early ones were 6 1/2 ft, but they dropped that and went to 6 ft, 8 , 10, and 12 ft. They were fairly popular. MAde from about 1932 into the late 40's.
Oil is carried to the front bearing ( in the snout) by a spiral wire carrier. The head also has an oil "pump" that pumps oil up to the crosshead and it drains down, and lubes most of the upper items.

I would disassemble it, to see what's all worn and needs attention. The bearings on the mainshaft seem to be Hyatt Bearings. There are folks here that apparently know where to get replacements, seeing how they have been out of business for many years. The oil return in the bottom of the snout may be plugged, causing the oil to run out the front, instead of draining back to the case.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Terry

Post by Terry »

I see you are from Calhan, Colorado.
You should talk to Adam or Garrett Balsick from Calhan.
They are very knowledgeable on windmills.
They may even have some parts that you need.
Terry
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Christopher, leave the "character " in t6he tail ! Most of us have that and enjoy the story.
Mike B
New Braunfels TX