Monitor WB Spring Behind Hub

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Slim

Monitor WB Spring Behind Hub

Post by Slim »

When I pulled my Monitor WB apart it had been sitting for a while it cleaned up pretty good. The snoot, casting, & gears looked ok I plan to replace the shafts & bushings.

Most the parts I need I think I have at this point but I noticed when I pulled the hub on the shaft behind the hub was the remnants of a what looked to be a spring. I suppose it was an oil return method. I’m betting it must be wound a certain direction. Do I need to find something special or what do you guys do? Also between the hub and the spring it had a packing of some sorts like wool or felt hard to tell was this factory or someone rigging?
When the 🐍 starts talking it’s time to quit listening!
windybob

Re: Monitor WB Spring Behind Hub

Post by windybob »

That is an oil slinger. It throws the oil off the shaft to run back to the case sump. Packing? Never seen that before. MAybe someone thought it was supposed to have an oil seal. Not so. I have a spring that I cut pieces off of to make the slinger. New ones can be bought. The Monitor WB turns CCW, so take that into consideration.

The hub better fit tight on the shaft. If not, it will work loose. I take it that you drove the tapered key in nice and tight.
Something you may or not know....The hub and shaft are angled in the case. 1 in 16 is the slope. New bearings and a good mainshaft should bring it back to spec. If you don't see a definite slope in the hub when you put it in, something isn't right. If this head came off a Monitor tower, the wheel runs real close to the tower legs. It really needs to have a tilt to it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Slim,
If you haven't already, go to this page on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=84
You'll see what the parts look like.

Where in Texas are you? If you're near Manchaca, you are welcome to come take a look at my WB. It's rebuilt but not yet up on a tower.

Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Slim

Post by Slim »

Windybob thanks I will double check those things. Yeah I read about the angle designed into. This is one of this long term projects I’ve had it for a few years. I actually got it from a man in Ropesville TX you may have heard of him he was a cool dude with cool stuff I often wonder how is. Wife & I visited with him most the afternoon and wish we could’ve stayed longer but bad weather was headed in.

Mr. Jim I’m going to have to look & see where Manchacha is🤔 I’m about 40 miles out of DFW. Thanks for the info & offer.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The guy in Ropesville may have been Paul C.

How is your pinion gear? Those are available new if you need.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Yeah Mr. C. No pinion looks good, but does anyone make any of the parts for these old W mills
windybob

Post by windybob »

They are all still available. New or used.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Windybob who would you recommend for new parts?
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Slim,
Manchaca is in south Travis county between Austin and Buda (about four hours of anxiety filled driving down IH35 from the DFW area).

If you are looking for parts for your WB, this forum is a great place to look. Just post your needs on the "Wanted" page.

If you specifically want new parts, contact:

Verdun Company
Hutchinson, Kansas
620-662-8502

I understand they bought out the tooling and inventory from Baker Mfg. Co. when Baker got out of the windmill business. Good folks to deal with, good inventory, and they ship orders quickly.

Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
windybob

Post by windybob »

Either that or Dan B has them also.