Mounting Dempster #12 on Aermotor Tower

......when you need to get in the weeds.
HuskerRon

Mounting Dempster #12 on Aermotor Tower

Post by HuskerRon »

I have been trying to locate a tower to mount my Dempster #12 on and have located 3 different Aermotor towers at reasonable prices. Can anyone tell me what type of modifications or new parts I will need to make or purchase. Originally I thought I could just use a Dempster tower cap. Then I saw that there was a tower conversion kit at one time and maybe I need to find one of these. Can someone please lead me in the right direction? I was planning to go pick the best one up next week and now I am wondering if there is more to this than I was expecting.
PaulV
Site Admin

Re: Mounting Dempster #12 on Aermotor Tower

Post by PaulV »

You can cut the Aermotor tower top down to fit your Dempster tower cap. Then drill your mount holes using cap as template. Once the cap is located, put your truing spider in the tower at the correct location for the mast pipe and drill holes in the tower.
PaulV
HuskerRon

Post by HuskerRon »

Thanks Paul, thank makes sense but brings up another question. Will the Aermotor top collar clamp still be usable, able to slide down far enough and still fit? Or with the Dempster tower cap is it just no longer necessary?
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

You will not use the top collar clamp. It's there to pull the angle iron at the top of the Aermotor tower tight around the Aermotor mast pipe. This is why the Aermotor tower top or stub tower is notched at the top. No other manufacturer tower has this. You'll have to cut the tower top angle down far enough for the Dempster tower cap to slide over the tower angle iron... the tower angles will fit into the inside corners of the Dempster cap.
PaulV