Gin Poles for Raising Motors on Top of Towers

......when you need to get in the weeds.
windybob

Re: Gin Poles for Raising Motors on Top of Towers

Post by windybob »

Pipe has ID measurement. Tubing has OD measurement. Hate to be picky, but it matters.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:15 pm Pipe has ID measurement. Tubing has OD measurement. Hate to be picky, but it matters.
[/q
Last edited by JBarker on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

When I was using gin poles, I depended on the ground crew to pull up the mill for me. I used a 3 line block & tackle. The pole base was angle iron strapped to the platform. The middle was chained loosely to the top of the tower at the turret. 2 ropes to handle: 1 pulling the wheel or motor away from the tower so as not to tangle with the ironwork and one pulling the unit(s) up. This way, all I had to do is guide the motor into the turret and the fan onto to driveshaft. Done. The only forces I had to exert were correcting any small mis-alignment of parts. Yes, you need a ground based partner. Maybe a radio remote controlled winch on the trailer hitch could do the job on a calm day.

Since then, I bought a trailer man-lift that the work platform can be removed and a jib arm can be inserted. I use this for heavier loads up to 500#. I can get a hook up to 40'. Last mill I did was a complete 8' Baker Heller Aller (36 blades). Next one will be an Aermotor A-602. Cement is still wet at the tower irons as of today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Finally finished building a gin pole from Tom's plans he posted. I might of made it too heavy, lol. I used a winch with a brake on it. I havent used it on top of a tower yet, but I did use it to pull a tower up on my trailer head rack and it worked pretty good. Thanks for all the input from everyone. Hope to try it up on a tower soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

One question Jerry how does it swivel to swing the head in over the mast pipe?
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

Tom,

Thank you for sharing your gin pole plans. I need to make one. Good video on youtube. Nice looking Heller Aller!