Windmill Oil. What do you use?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Joshschneids

Windmill Oil. What do you use?

Post by Joshschneids »

Hey everyone, been a while since i have been on here. Being a Marine Mechanic, i am busy at this time of the year now that our ice has pretty much all gone in Northern Ontario. Trying to get this mill up rather than working on motor’s for a while. Lol Anyways i am sure there is a lot of different opinions on this and wanted opinions from everyone that is experienced with this stuff unlike me :lol: Anyways i am pretty sure 10W non detergent is what i want to run? If not what does everyone recommend? Especially if the guys in Canada could chime in where they get their oil?. Thanks guys! I am sure this can be a cool thread seeing what everyone runs. Josh
Josh From Ontario
windybob

Re: Windmill Oil. What do you use?

Post by windybob »

That's what the manufacturers say to use. I've had my run-ins with it though. Had to warranty several rebuilt heads, due to oil gumming up and starving the bearings. being as several friends i know use regular red ATF and having good luck i switched over to it. Never had a problem since.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

We use 10w non-detergent now, but changing to 10w hydraulic fluid when we use up the case of non-detergent. We haven't had any issues with the non-detergent though.
20190427_190851.jpg
20190427_190918.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

PaulV wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:15 pm We use 10w non-detergent now, but changing to 10w hydraulic fluid when we use up the case of non-detergent. We haven't had any issues with the non-detergent though.
20190427_190851.jpg
20190427_190918.jpg

Thanks Paul! I ended up picking up some Non Detergent for it. Was cheap and a nice clear fluid to pour into my clean gearcase. Josh
Josh From Ontario
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

windybob wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:40 pm That's what the manufacturers say to use. I've had my run-ins with it though. Had to warranty several rebuilt heads, due to oil gumming up and starving the bearings. being as several friends i know use regular red ATF and having good luck i switched over to it. Never had a problem since.
I had been wondering about what oil to use also. Their was a time around here the farm stores had oil in a 2 1/2 gallon container that said windmill oil on it. Looked like a 10W oil like the books said to use. I used it for years seemed to work. They don't carry it any more was using 10W non but now you can't find it around here either. We just bought another farm that has a Woodmanse Double geared windmill on it with a 30 foot tower and the pull out chain had been broken for a while so the mill had been running non stop. I replaced the pull out chain to get it stopped and filled it with ATF since that is what I had with me. I was going to use universal hyd oil as that is what we use in our old tractors that called for 10W non in the hyd systems and it has worked well for years. We had just broke a hose on the sprayer so I had used all the hyd oil I had around to get it going and only had ATF around. We will see what the ATF looks like next year when we check it. The mill will be off most of the time as it won't be needed.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

I have been using red ATF for a year now since Windy has been bragging about it. LOL. So far it's been working good for me too.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Jerry good to here someone else is using ATF.
Dave Straub

Post by Dave Straub »

Non Detergent oil should be used in windmills. Contaminants in Non Detergent oil will settle to the bottom of the reservoir and remain until the oil is changed. Detergent oils came into use when oil filters were added to machines, engines, etc. Detergent oils keep contaminants suspended in oil so they can be trapped in the oil filter. This was explained to me by an oil distributor where I buy my Non Detergent oil in 5 gal containers from Sapp Bros. who own many truck stop service stations across the Midwest.
windybob

Post by windybob »

You are correct.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I have being using #10 non Detergent in my Aermotor since I put it up in 2008.No issues.
Joe