Stub Tower Placement

......when you need to get in the weeds.
JBarker

Stub Tower Placement

Post by JBarker »

Before I install an Aermotor stub tower, I would like to ask for your advice and input for the correct way. I have never attempted this before. I plan on using a stub tower with an A-702 Aermotor on top of the 40 ft. tower posted below. The tower is on the ground at this moment. Thank you.

Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
billcobb

Re: Stub Tower Placement

Post by billcobb »

20190428_152541.jpg
All I would add to the discussion that will surely follow is to make sure that when you have it attached that you can reach the top bonnet nut from the platform ! Otherwise, you are going to have trouble adding oil, adjusting the brake and a few other things. Don't set it too low or the blades will hit the platform.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

great points, thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

Always measure from known factory points or holes. Keep all measurements the same for all 4 legs. Aermotor stub towers should be punched the same on the 4 legs, so keeping the measurements the same should be easier. If the tower is racked, loosen bolts on the racked leg. Try a testfit with vicegrips first. That way, you can see what your up against. Might be easier than you think.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:05 pm Always measure from known factory points or holes. Keep all measurements the same for all 4 legs. Aermotor stub towers should be punched the same on the 4 legs, so keeping the measurements the same should be easier. If the tower is racked, loosen bolts on the racked leg. Try a testfit with vicegrips first. That way, you can see what your up against. Might be easier than you think.
Thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Me thinks that is not an Aermotor tower. So, some cutting and drilling is going to be happening. Just sit the stub tower side to side on your 40'er and adjust for angle and side span equality. Don't forget about overlap when you mark it up !
windybob

Post by windybob »

If it's not a Aermotor stub, no prob.If it has holes already do a quick check to see if they are consistantly punched. If they are, take a one foot piece of angle, and make a pattern of where the holes are in the stub. You need to remember that holes shift from the center out ( or from the edge in) when marking, so use 2 pieces of angle. one to mark off of your stub, and the other to reverse-mark for the holes to make them just like on the stub. Or...just take a leg off the stub and mark the tower top angles at a certain location, measured from a factory mark.IF your stub is not punched for holes, then make a pattern of your liking and mark the ends all the same on the stub. remember that the farther in you make the holes, the (much) farther in they will be when you transfer the marks to the tower. If your using a punch, you can get them too far in that the punch won't reach. Overlap for the stub to the tower top is a matter of choice, or practicality. I have had a 6 inch overlap to a 2 foot one. As long as things don't get in the way.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

If you mount the stub on the tower when it is laying down, not only is it easier but you get less distortion of the underneath angle of the overlap. The weight of the stub makes it have a tendency to be forced down farther on when the tower is standing. Clamp, drill all holes, install all bolts loosely and then tighten diagonal sides. Platform for an 8' Aermotor is 40" from end of stub angle.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:02 pm Me thinks that is not an Aermotor tower. So, some cutting and drilling is going to be happening. Just sit the stub tower side to side on your 40'er and adjust for angle and side span equality. Don't forget about overlap when you mark it up !
thank you
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Ron Stauffer wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 10:17 pm If you mount the stub on the tower when it is laying down, not only is it easier but you get less distortion of the underneath angle of the overlap. The weight of the stub makes it have a tendency to be forced down farther on when the tower is standing. Clamp, drill all holes, install all bolts loosely and then tighten diagonal sides. Platform for an 8' Aermotor is 40" from end of stub angle.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
thank you
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864