Dempster #12 Hub

......when you need to get in the weeds.
windybob

Re: Dempster #12 Hub

Post by windybob »

If the spring is backwards, it will carry oil back to the case, not out to the snout bearing. I do know that if the oil return is not cleaned out, and the tunnel under the bearing is clogged, it will leak. Otherwise, the entire oil return is lower than the bearing, so leaking should not be an issue. So this is an interesting scenario.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
LoTec

Re: Dempster #12 Hub

Post by LoTec »

As I mentioned, I rigged up a pulley and motor and ran the mill for a while and oil was dripping out of the snout, so somehow oil was getting out there despite the backwards wound spring. Although, the motor was running it pretty dang fast. I subsequently added another pulley reduction to get it down to what I calculate was about 100 rpm; it still seemed to leak.
A couple of days ago I installed the oil seal and some felt (coiled up felt weatherstripping) and did the pulley test again. I ran it for a couple hours and it did not leak a drop. Although, much to my dismay there was a not very loud but distinct squealing noise, which I figured had to be the oil seal rubbing on the shaft, even though I had sprayed the shaft with silicone before installing.
I had the mill sitting on a stub tower. I disconnected the belts from the pulleys and tipped the whole mill at an angle so the oil in the motor ran down and filled the front bearing area, and then I turned the hub by hand several dozen revs. When I stood it back up and hooked up the belts and ran it again, the squealing had disappeared, and it still did not leak; so I put the hubs on and I hope it's about ready to put back up on the tower.