Aermotor spoke length

......when you need to get in the weeds.
tom b

Aermotor spoke length

Post by tom b »

I have a few small bundles of A702 wheel spokes and the overall length differs between the two. One bundle measures 17 5/8" from cross brace to end of outer band spoke thread, and the other measures 18 1/8" between the same two points. The length from cross brace to hub thread are equal with both sets. That leaves a 1/2 " difference between the two. Unfortunately, I need one complete set and I am short two for the shorter length spokes and seven of the longer length spokes. Has anyone come across this issue before where factory spokes are of different length? If I can't find some used spokes, I am considering cutting two longer spokes and rewelding back together. Opinions?
Thanks, Tom
Bryon

Re: Aermotor spoke length

Post by Bryon »

They probably are not all Aermotor spokes. I have noticed a difference between the overall length and the length between the cross brace and the outer end of the spoke with different manufacturers. They vary by manufacturer and they have a +/- variance that they all work to. You need to measure your blades between the inner and outer bands and make sure they are all the same (same thing with different manufacturers). If the blades match the longer measurement, use washers to make up the difference on the ends of the spokes. If they match the shorter distance, you are going to need some different spokes. If you put your wheel together using the different measurement spokes, the wheel is probably going to wobble. Don't forget to measure the distance from the top of the nut (where it screws into the hub) and the cross brace. I have seen spokes where this too is different.
tom b

Re: Aermotor spoke length

Post by tom b »

Thanks Bryon for the comments. I will do as you say. Didn't realize they were not both original Aermotor.
Since I have most of the shorter spokes, have you had any luck cutting and re welding one of the longer spokes to match the shorter ones? What is the length of your 8 ft spokes that you sell?
Tom