20' open gear Samson question

......when you need to get in the weeds.
LoTec

Re: 20' open gear Samson question

Post by LoTec »

A windmill wheel is designed to catch the wind and turn. If it is exposed to high winds, it will be subject to rotational torque, and it will be trying to turn. If the wind changes direction, the mill will be trying to follow. I don't know how you plan to assure that the wheel remains static; but assuming that it will may be a dangerous assumption.
kozzy

Post by kozzy »

Yes, we've calculated maximum rotational torque as well as other forces involved and included structural members as well as beefing things up where required on the actual windmill itself to compensate for the situation. We have a licensed mechanical engineer doing the preliminary work and the good folks at the Puget Sound Energy windmill farm have run some computerized stress analysis scenarios for us. I've also run some more basic stress analysis on CAD solid models I've created of the mill structure based on 100+ MPH wind loads.

Even with that we are tending to do over-kill structurally to cover our bases.
windybob

Post by windybob »

It will work! Awesome!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

kozzy
That is going to be one impressive display. You live in a pretty part of the world. We were out that way for the first time five years ago this month.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard work next year.