Baker wb hub removal

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Smax

Baker wb hub removal

Post by Smax »

Any tips on the best way to get a baker wb hub and shaft out. The last one I attempted to take off i got to rough and broke the hub would not like to do that again.
Wayne

Re: Baker wb hub removal

Post by Wayne »

Have you tried Tender, Loving, Care?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Is it stuck in the case, or are you trying to get the hub off the shaft?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Stuck in the case
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Did you take the cotter key out of the shaft on the inside of the case???
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Smax

Post by Smax »

Yup
windybob

Post by windybob »

Okay, the only thing holding it in is the gear is stuck on the shaft. Otherwise it would slide out. There is a woodruff key under the gear. Sometimes they are murder to get off, but sometimes heat and oil works.

Is the pinion any good? Dan B sells them at reasonable prices. If it's no good, then you might torch it off. Lord knows I've done that more than once. If the gear is good, heat it as much as you can then take a rod and drive the hub out by putting the rod end as close to the middle of the hub as possible, and hitting the rod. A 5/8 rod or so should work. That is the thick part of the hub, and you wont be hitting the outside of it.

If the mainshaft is bad, cut it in front of the pinion. If both mainshaft, and pinion are good, you have little choice but to free the gear on the shaft to get it to slide. Once you get it loose, turn the key under the gear to bottom, and it will pull the front bearing out with it. The key will come out thru the oil return channel, otherwise it may get hung on the case. Don't forget the small bearing for the rear of the shaft.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Thanks windy Bob hot oil got it loose .the pinion and shaft were good but front bearing was worn. Best thing I didn't break anything this time😊.This wasn't as tight as the other one just didn't want to take any chances on breaking another hub. After letting it set in almost boiling oil it penetrated enough of old solid oil to let it come off. Thanks everyone for advice given
windybob

Post by windybob »

Good! If you have any front bearing left, you might be good to go. Check the snout to see if the oil slinger ate the bottom of the snout. I've had plenty that there was no bearing left.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Bearing was worn almost all the way thru. there was up and down play at the end of the hub shaft and was the reason for wanting to pull the shaft to replace bearings. The only thing I saw in the snout was a drip tray and a coil spring at the end of the shaft.