Babbit

......when you need to get in the weeds.
WOpp

Babbit

Post by WOpp »

I poured the bottom of the main hub on a Pipe Raymond this afternoon. I allowed it to cool for about 5 minutes and lifted the shaft out. When it was time to clean up the extra the whole new babbit what is now a very nice insert lifted out. My surface was sandblasted spotless clean. Did I not have the casting hot enough? I am wondering why it let go. Thanks.
Wayne

Re: Babbit

Post by Wayne »

For what I know that is the way it is supposed to work. I poured one half took it out used my same set up and poured the other half, but I don't know if that is how the old timers would have done it???
windybob

Post by windybob »

As long as it's poured in a anti-spin cavity or divot of some sort it will be okay. When in doubt glue it in. The weight is on it anyway. But it really needs to be in a divot of some sort.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
WOpp

Post by WOpp »

Would LokTight be a good enough glue?
JLM

Post by JLM »

This is what my dad did years ago when I helped him pour the bearings on a open geared samson. This technique prevents the babbit from turning or moving in the shell. https://www.rotometals.com/babbitt-bear ... -bearings/
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't know about loctite. Maybe. I have used a variety of glues on occasion. Remember, windmills are slow-speed machines. There is a variety of things they will forgive you for.
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

Good information. Ive got to pour some at some point and need to get a plan in place to get my woodmanse poured. Ive never done it before and i want to ensure i do it right and have the correct materials. Ive been trying to gather references and watch youtube examples but cant seem to find a lot of examples on windmills.
windybob

Post by windybob »

A person needs to know where the oil passages are, so they don't plug them up. Woodmanse has a couple that need to be known about, that are maybe not so easy to spot.
Windmillsrus

Post by Windmillsrus »

If you you would have drilled some divots in it first it wouldn’t have come out. Or asked me when we were on the phone and I would have told you that. But I guess some have to learn the hard way.