Upper furl ring question for B-702

......when you need to get in the weeds.
hwy8

Upper furl ring question for B-702

Post by hwy8 »

One of the arm-braces was home-made with a hammered-up piece of threaded rod and I'm going to make a new one tp replace it. On this ring, the braces are on opposite sides of the arms. That is, when the arms are raised, one faces "inside" and one faces "outside". How did they come from the factory?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pcowley (RIP)

Re: Upper furl ring question for B-702

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Your picture is correct.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

I'm including a couple photos of my X-702 upper furl ring to show that it is different than my "as found" part from my B-702. (the B/W photo is the "X": Color is the "B") As you can see, the black and white "X" photo with the arms flattened out, shows both ends of the braces have been inserted from "this side". Notice on the color photo how the braces have been inserted/assembled differently. In the photo with the arms held up by the rubber band, the braces are both on the inside, which is different than on the B-702. Is one "more right" than the other?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

All the arms 'come in' to the middle of the ring. Guess I don't see what you mean.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

You’re say this red circled one is on the outside (or bottom), opposite of the other side. I don’t see a problem with it that way. It will work the same as if it were mounted on the other side.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

I'm pretty sure my X model furling ring is the original and it looks as if it has never been altered. In these photos, you can see the way the tail is bent to hold it in place. If the brace rods were put in from the other direction, there's a chance the "tail" would hit the ring and maybe interfere with the function? (I'm just guessing) Most of the time it probably wouldn't matter but when I reversed them on the "B", the tails do hit the ring when I lift the arms....
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

windybob wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:41 pm All the arms 'come in' to the middle of the ring. Guess I don't see what you mean.
In the black and white photo, both braces have been inserted into the holes from our viewing side. When I lift the arms up towards the mast pipe, the bent part of the brace wire (it has a sharp end) going through the arm is away from the mast pipe. It's "smoother" toward the mast.

I'm just wondering since the "B" furling ring has been "fixed", did they put it back together right?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Looks like probably not. Might have been done on a Friday and he was thinking about his hot date that night.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Thanks for all of the input! My B-702 should be up and running by the end of the month!
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Dont get too uptight about it as Aermotor 802 has no angle bracing, just the button head L with a cotter pin holding it on.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO