Vane/Tail stop

......when you need to get in the weeds.
rickrutland

Vane/Tail stop

Post by rickrutland »

Do most vanes/tails have some sort of stop to keep it from slamming into the gear case?
I'm working on an old 8' Fairbury and there is something on the tail frame that was broken off and I can see where it has hit the case. I was able to get the broken remains off.... was thinking of maybe bolting a wooden block on there.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Rick
CTXmiller

Re: Vane/Tail stop

Post by CTXmiller »

A buffer is what I believe you’re referring to. Probably best to fix it as close to correct as possible as to not regret the mistake when it is 20’-30’ in the air. Consider posting some photos.
rickrutland

Post by rickrutland »

Here are some pics:

There was a broken piece of metal about 1.5" x 2" riveted to the tail frame. I had to use a grinder to get it off.

Thoughts?

Remember it is an 8' Fairbury.

Thanks!

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Rick: I have a Fairbury vane at home I can take some pictures of and post for you. I believe you removed part of the buffer mechanism when you removed that piece. Pic's shortly......
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

The quality/angle of this photo is poor, but it is of a 7AA tailbone. I no longer have this Fairbury 7AA tailbone in my shop, otherwise I would have access to better photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Here's a couple pics of a Fairbury tailbone. I believe it is a 7AA.
rickrutland

Post by rickrutland »

First pic....That's it, but it was broken off right at the rivets.... where it angles up.
Thoughts on how to address?

Thanks!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I did see a complete 8’ Fairbury tailbone on eBay for $30. Shipping would likely be more $ because of the size, but that is an option.